Forums

Help › Forums

Re: LEADERBOARD

Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:45 PM (9 replies)
  • WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 5:48 AM

I am not sure if it has been addressed in the past, but I think wgt should run cc tournaments the same as they run ready go's. The leaderboard should not be visible until the tournament is closed for registration. A lot of people see a lowish score and boycott the event which leads to low participation. 

I am sure this would be an easy thing to implement as they already do it in ready go's?

• tanapard
    366 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 6:43 AM

hi jo

readygo registration close then player have 12 hour for post score... cc tournament open to register to last minute... so show score after tournament close and payout?

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 7:58 AM

yes I guess after its over..no need for a pay out period like rg's.. I know in our club this has been a big deterrent in people participating. A person sees a 26 and just decides..noooooo ty efff that...would be better if it was posted after the round. I think it would help in participation rates.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:18 AM

But still in Ready Go's, A player even before playing can see the scores of that particular round with little bit of homework. Like going back to 2  or 3 days n check out the players who plays consistently with regards to that particular time n tournament name n check out of how much worth birdies is enough to get back the spent credits. 

Sometimes we even see crazy 24 n people play anyway ;) 

- Carl

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 10:34 AM

I was going to suggest using a club handicap, but it is possible you may already be doing so.  I think handicap tournaments in TPC have the highest level of participation.

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 11:53 AM

even with a handicap people see a low score(s) and just get turned off.  I just can't think of a good reason to show the scores while others are yet to enter. What + comes from it?

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 12:52 PM

well, if a low score is shot by a high handicapper … that would do it too... similar to the low score in a non-handicap event.  

I am not sure, but it seems you may also have the dynamic that even after hiding scores... members may scan to see who has entered... based on their familiarity with those players... that too could be a deterrent for some players.  

I don't know what kind of events you are talking about, free entry, credit entry, free entry with prizes... etc... that may not simplify the solution, but they can also be factors. 

It is a tricky dynamic I agree.  What is the feedback within your club forum... does anyone give feedback or offer insight?

From an outsider, I believe you started a new club of pretty high quality players.  I think most of them followed you from Kona.  I would suspect everyone knows each other pretty well.  It is hard to know all of the internal dynamics to give greater insight but I can try to humor you... : ) .  Most clubs, like TPC, have a much wider range of skill levels where I would suspect Paragon is fairly balanced...

Yet... balance is a relative term as there is still a pretty big gap between the elite players like yourself and even some of the best Legends on WGT which I am certain are in Paragon--I see their names and your club at the top of the leaderboards.  I suspect or believe Paragon is probably 95% or higher of skilled Legend players and higher.  (looks like you have picked up a few lower tier but very few.

Here is another option...

One of the brain child's of TPC's popular tournaments TPC VT (JustinSolvent) not only has a handicap based system been used but he also assigns members to different "flights" because there is a range of skill levels in every tier.  So a skilled Legend may end up competing against Champion tier players and a champion tier player who over persistence and saturation was promoted maybe with some easy tee's along the way... may actually be flighted down and compete against other Legends rather than Champion tier players that they can't compete with. 

Now, that may be far more effort and work than you are interested in investing to increase participation, but it gives members a sense of being able to compete against those or similar proficiency.  Not all Legends and not all champions are of similar skill levels.  Beyond that, just asking in the forum what might help increase participation... but sometimes that means getting people into the forum to chat and give feedback is also a challenge.  

• thegoosebag
    2,264 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:34 PM

maybe you could try tier and averages only participating say 3/4days after tourney opened,obviously lower tiers and higher averages tee off from start of tourney and higher/better quality players have to tee off later in the week .You will probably still end up with the same outcome but participation may be higher if you inform your members before hand to try it in one of your tourneys

On a personal note i like to see the scores prior to teeing off,sometimes it can give you that little gee up to try that little bit harder,maybe due to the quality of top class players in your CC the above sentence would,nt come into play anyway/

cheers      mark.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 3:15 PM

el3n1:
    One of the brain child's of TPC's popular tournaments TPC VT (JustinSolvent) not only has a handicap based system been used but he also assigns members to different "flights" because there is a range of skill levels in every tier.  So a skilled Legend may end up competing against Champion tier players and a champion tier player who over persistence and saturation was promoted maybe with some easy tee's along the way... may actually be flighted down and compete against other Legends rather than Champion tier players that they can't compete with. 

My brother, Andy, was a member at TPC and I visited for about a month after he passed away as you guys ran a "Play as Andy Would" Memorial Tournament.  I was so impressed with what EasyEd, Gary (NoPro17), and Justin had running there that I attempted to take it back to Wooden Tee. 

I ran into some issues as it's really a very complex system you guys run...although it is "automated".  Attempting to port over your handicapping system, CC Tourney tracking, and member ranking systems was a bit over my head.  What you guys have running at TPC is absolutely, by far, the coolest CC tournament system on all of WGT. 

I wish WGT would replicate your system so our entire community could compete (fairly) vs everyone else.  We'd all have a "World Rank" and could all vie for becoming the #1 ranked player, etc.  TPC truly has this down to a science...it's FABULOUS!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 4:45 PM

pmm711:
    My brother, Andy, was a member at TPC and I visited for about a month after he passed away as you guys ran a "Play as Andy Would" Memorial Tournament.

I believe I heard about that, but it was before my time.  Thanks for the reminder.  

I neglected to mention the others... Easy (XP) Ed now focuses on building XP.  Gary without question does far more than most even know behind the scenes and was "coerced" to take over as Owner although he would have preferred to remain the "man behind the curtain."  

I never claimed to know all the details just suggesting that there are other options out there and the handicap event and Justin VT (which also has a handicap format) probably have the largest participation of any tournaments held in TPC without a doubt.  

RSS