Re: WGT Country Club Pass

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 16 2024 3:30 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 11:01 PM

Ketket1:
    But until such time as they reach saturation point, bad scores DO count and the more bad scores, the longer it takes them to get good scores that offset those bad scores.
    Nope. This is linear thinking (of average), but saturation makes it non-linear.

Of course, bad scores do count to the momentary average. I confess that I quit a few early Legend rounds because I knew that they would make my average look bad for ages!

Alas, they are irrelevant to tier promotion.

Robert1893:
    Actually, the opposite is true. By withdrawing, a person is taking longer to get to saturation. The longer it takes to get to saturation, the longer it takes to reduce an average. 

By withdrawing to "protect the average,"  the person has just wasted a round that would have helped move them toward saturation.

That's not the point, Robert.

You describe tier promotion as two tasks, 1) becoming saturated and 2) lowering the average. In fact, it's only one task: To collect a <saturation no.> pool of scores forming the necessary average. This is all that matters.

If you look at at the pool of scores contributing at the moment of tier promotion, the bad scores are gone, they have been excluded. Thus, they are non-existent in this array, as if they had not even been played. This is the non-linear part of the story.

Robert1893:
    In other words, if a person only completes "good" rounds and not all rounds, it will take the person longer to reach saturation, which ultimately impacts tiering up. 
    I agree, except for the marked phrase.

Players who quit bad rounds will miss to practice the last holes of the courses, and more on the psych side of the game (hint: patience, resilience...). THIS will have a a negative impact on the time it takes!

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2018 1:57 AM
    Concerning the OP...

Free CC Passes: If you quit a round you should lose them as you chose to punk out. Now, if you’re playing a tourney and the tourney ends during play, then I feel the CC Pass should be credited back to you...as long as you were actively hitting balls trying to finish in time and not merely “letting the tourney end” because you were upset with your round. I feel this way because you have no idea how much time is left on a tourney if you play mobile. Via PC you do know the time left, but loading issues could affect your ability to finish a round in time. WGT should do a better job with timers for tourneys.

Purchased CC Passes: You should never buy a CC Pass. In as such, if you quit a round you deserve to lose the pass. The timeout issue described above should still apply though...even though “stupidity” is in play here.

All this talk about quitting rounds prior to saturation, in order to preserve your average, should be debated in another thread.
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2018 8:41 AM

alosso:
    Players who quit bad rounds will miss to practice the last holes of the courses, and more on the psych side of the game (hint: patience, resilience...). THIS will have a a negative impact on the time it takes!

Later, I thought about that aspect as well. Good point.

Plus, some people have fairly strict definitions of what constitutes a "bad round." Quite a while back, I remember someone positing that he wouldn't continue a round on St. Andrews, front 9 if he was "only" -2 after 4 holes. His logic? He "knew" how the rest of the round was going to go, and it wasn't going to be good.

If I had followed that logic, I would have missed out on a lot of sub-30 rounds on that course. More than once, I shot a 29 after only being -2 after 4 holes. In fact, I once shot a 27 after starting out -2 after 4 holes. Over the last 5 holes, I went eagle-birdie-birdie-birdie-eagle. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 8:17 AM

actually, I think there are examples of players in which all of you can be correct... it largely depends on the type of player, their skill level, their consistency, the type of tournaments they play, etc. etc... 

#ket can be addressing a particular type of player, while #alosso and #robert are speaking more about the "norms" or typically what can be expected. 

It does not mean there are not instances in which #ket is absolutely correct in every situation but he may not be entirely wrong either, because you can occasionally observe what appear to be very skilled players who target big payout events that clearly post scores at times that will bloat their average prior to saturation and thus delaying a promotion even if it is short lived. 

If they have intermittently mixed a range of scores into their scoring history and post a 49 prior to saturation, then replace that with a 45, then a 43, then 41, then 39 then 38 etc... all of those scores can delay a promotion when they may also be skilled enough to regularly shoot 28 or 29. 

I have actually observed this by one player that was a reigning Legend tier champ...  That is not the type of player you expect to see shooting scores like a 49 especially after winning a ready go on the same course a few days prior. You see some crazy stuff people and some people try to do things with poor intentions, while others may feel they are trying to do so with the best intentions or for the good of the game so as not to be judged critically or unfairly by your peers.  You also see the latter happen quite often on WGT as well.  Sometimes, you just have to allow WGT to make an honest review and discern what is best for the game and player.  They have been around enough and seen enough they can usually tell.  

• Chopper1953
    90 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2024 3:30 PM

The problem when you withdraw from a round, your opponent sometimes does not get credit for the round, lose their pass and are frustrated because you withdrew from the game. It really can't be because of the 37 cents. Your opponent then has to wait 24 hrs for their pass because you withdrew from the round. WGT should have a rule that when you withdraw from a round, cause an opponent to lose the round, lose their pass, you should have to replace your opponents pass. That would be the honest and ethhical way to play this game. I've had players make a bad shot off the T, and they withdraw from the round. If you don't want to play, don't sign up for a game.

FRUSTRATED by players who WITHDRAW.

• PAGES
RSS