Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Multi Player Green Speeds

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:12 PM (5 replies)
  • WalterHagenJnr
    433 Posts
    Sat, Oct 20 2018 2:20 PM

Social multiple player golf would be greatly enhanced by setting the green speed to the lowest ranked player in the group.
    Currently this defaults to the highest ranked player.
    As a Tour Legend my default is T13 and not surprisingly most lower ranked players cancel out during the creation process.
    I'm pretty certain most lower ranked players would enjoy playing with more experienced players if they could play on their terms. A high ranked player can usually play on any green ratings whereas the lower ranks are still going thru the learning process and feel more comfortable with what they already can handle. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2018 8:38 PM

I totally agree.  The higher tier player already has a natural advantage and forcing lower tier players to green speeds they rarely (if ever) play or practice is just wrong.  My current tier green speed is T-11, but I have played a lot on all speeds below that, so it is no problem for me to do so.  Forcing lower tier players to play T-11 is unnecessary an unfair, however.

• rdodge
    95 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:11 AM

I disgree , i learned quicker playing on faster greens. I don't see multi-player random stroke as a competition between players  but as ranked practice to lower ones average. If a player wants competition thats what the friends list is for.  For me , as a legend, playing slower greens is boring

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 3:44 AM

Quite simple, set games in practice mode.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:24 PM

rdodge:
    For me , as a legend, playing slower greens is boring

But for a Pro or Tour Pro - it is reasonable and also a learning experience.  Also, I don't see how green speed, in itself, makes a game exciting or boring.  Just different.  YMMV.

• WalterHagenJnr
    433 Posts
    Tue, Oct 23 2018 7:12 PM

Never yet come across a lower ranked player who wanted to play Practice, they're all about increasing their ranking; as it should be.

Not sure of why a Legend would want to play lower ranked players on T12 greens, whereas playing a Master on T10 gives them a sporting chance?
    If a Legend or better feels it's beneath them then set the player rating at Legend+ when creating a multiple player game.

I run a Club that takes pride in nurturing talent. We provide Club tornaments that give all levels a chance. BUT, aspiring Champions need to be able to go out into the wider WGT world, without being crushed in the process.

Many WGT Members play little else but social golf, alternate shot or stroke play mostly. For them the more even the playing field the better. It's less about winning than enjoying the round.
    Isn't that how most of us play golf in the real world; so what's so different about playing in WGT world? 

RSS