Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Do we all agree...

Wed, Jan 30 2019 5:49 PM (57 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 9:53 AM

Thank you Mags for lending credibility to my initial post.:))

ct

• jimshaw39
    675 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 5:21 PM

HackWilson1930:

The course may be set up the same way. The putts may all be very similar. But can every stroke hit the ding? What about the putts that were made the first time around because the ding was missed (either deliberately or accidentally) but hit the second? Dings missed by a hair once and a mm the second?

And then there is the human side. How well can a person concentrate for 18 holes or 36? Even the best players here are hard pressed to maintain a constant concerted effort over a long period of time. Fingers cramp, backs ache, and bladders demand attention.

Playing solo allows for stoppage, but what about being in a group? How are players affected because others are around? 

Too many variables which is just the reason the game remains a challenge.

Luv it! Gr8 response Mr. W and, I think, accurate. I've been playing golf for 70 years (shh) and have not yet found the answer to that question. I don't think VEM comes into play on grass. lol      Jim

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 8:37 PM

Jim,

I haven't played quite as long as you (I'm 73 and didn't start playing until around the age of 8, choking down on my mother's Patty Bergs), but my experience is similar. Who needs VEM on grass, with so many other variables to consider (which is probably why WGT has VEM, since so many variables in the real game don't (and cannot) exist in the virtual realm.

Case in point: I played 9 today at my local course in high (and gusting to really high) winds (southern California Santa Anas). The wind was never a help; never was it at my back, but it was in my face on four holes and strong sideways on the other 5.

And somehow I shot 3 strokes better than I did in benign conditions yesterday.

As we say in racing, some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

And it's why it's the most frustrating -- and rewarding -- game in the world.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 9:01 PM

K7JBQ:
    As we say in racing, some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

LOL
    Dang - 

I have road raced a number of years, but never had a bear attack me!!!

You sure that was not a quote about Nicklaus? 

• Win1Soon
    385 Posts
    Wed, Oct 24 2018 2:40 PM

weee bit arrogant aren't we?

• RenoRick
    108 Posts
    Wed, Jan 30 2019 5:49 PM

I know exactly what you're saying but have come to the conclusion that the game is 75% your ability and 25% randomly generated results.

The jumpy meter is also by design or all of our PC's are crap.  The meter has been my bug-a-boo from the beginning.

I've also noticed that the only putts you leave short of the hole are those that are online.

Enjoy the game and take what WGT gives you or you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out this game.

RSS