Forums

Help › Forums

Re: new challenge ... or is it even possible...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 28 2018 8:26 AM (4 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2018 5:23 PM

was curious... I imagine the only way it would even be possible would be in an UEL setting and with wind helping out... 

but is it possible to pull off Phil's famous backwards wedge shot in WGT?  I tend to doubt it is possible, but maybe someone out there is bored and curious for a new challenge other than driver's and wedges on the green.

I have seen some full wedges out of severe UEL around bunkers where the ball only seems to pop straight up and barely get out of the bunker but backwards?  

never know though, have seen some crazy stuff...

if not, do you have a creative shot that would even compare?  

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2018 6:28 PM

Think it would be a lot easier to duplicate his hotel balcony shot on Andy 17th.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2018 6:35 PM

I actually think it might be possible.

If you had an upslope steep enough into a strong headwind just maybe.  

The reaason I think so is I've hit some shots with a steep incline that sure didnt' go very far.  If you got it up high and the wind got it...

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:48 PM

el3n1:
    but is it possible to pull off Phil's famous backwards wedge shot in WGT?
    It was possible to play backwards (when facing the pin).

Did it at least once on OAK #9, sitting on the ridge just in front of one of the bunkers on the right, ?100? yds from the green.

It must have a steep incline programmed (even in standard lies), because it ended behind the avatar.

No replay :(

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Sep 28 2018 8:26 AM

thanks all... sounds like it is something you would practically have to set up in order to get the specific situation where the shot could be played...

maybe WGT needs to consider setting up a type of the golfchannel's "Big Break" challenge where players are tested to hit different types of shots from challenging lies instead of the often straight forward CTTH unlimited pin hunting challenges we often see where someone or many are going crazy low...

I know I have seen some creative shots being played so I am sure the WGT community would figure them out, but still would be more interesting than most CTTH you see.

maybe like... laying in the rough where punching out through trees and trying to run it up to the green, or trying to carve a shot around the trees and getting it onto the green... shots that can't be hit by simply hitting full because they would get knocked down.  

anyone up for the glass breaking challenge where you have to hit a knock down punch 3 iron through a pane of glass?  maybe something fun like that would break up the monotony for some players. 

i know it is probably unlikely as some shots would likely require different programming but then again... I recall having this shot which I have never seen anyone in WGT end up in this location during a regular round.. so I imagine they are capable of setting up some non standard locations...  

RSS