Sat, Dec 8 2018 2:00 PM (8 replies)
  • hrynkq
    6 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 6:34 AM

WHY? all of a sudden do I have to connect to it 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 7:44 AM

Because this is a flashed based game . You have always been using flash some browsers automatically handled flash for you . The latest Chrome update gives you more control over the flash usage option thats all .

Many browsers now come with flash attached . You dont have to download flash seperately , but with other browsers you still do . But its no big deal as all it requires is a simple click . When the notice appears ' Do you want flash " just click yes . Even though you may have your browser set to allow flash , its still going to ask . I get it to its no big deal ..

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 8:21 AM

lonniescott711:
    When the notice appears ' Do you want flash " just click yes . Even though you may have your browser set to allow flash , its still going to ask

This is new with the latest Chrome update. You can allow Flash just by clicking on the "get Flash" box BUT it will only apply for as long as you have the browser open. Apparently there's no way to stop Chrome from resetting that option.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 9:56 AM

YankeeJim:
    Apparently there's no way to stop Chrome from resetting that option.

See HERE.

Or copy and paste this into Chrome's address bar...

chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission

...hit enter and disable the f...flag.

accr. BullroarerTook

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 1:39 PM

Thanks for that, Scott, made my day. I've been there before and couldn't remember how to get there. LOL Woulda been a stop on the "where the hell is the option" tour if I had a memory. :-D

*edit--Worked like a champ.  :-)

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 1:51 PM

x100000!!

One of those 'doesn't really matter but....' things - SO glad to have it sorted

Thanks once again Scott

Thomas

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Sep 22 2018 3:45 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts fellas, I fear a 'not too far off ' Chrome update will kill off that option too.  : (

Thank you.

YankeeJim:
    *edit--Worked like a champ.  :-)
    Missed that first time round, thanks Jim. ; )
  • ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2018 1:29 PM

Chrome 71 is now out. The previously mentioned workaround in this thread for enabling flash, is no longer available in this version. So unless you want to edit your computer's registry to avoid having to enable flash on every page that has a flash element, I would strongly suggest that you avoid being updated to this Chrome version.

To stop Chrome updates, type msconfig into your start menu or cortana's search box. Open the msconfig application and click the services tab. Put a check in the Hide all Microsoft services box to make searching easier. Look for the two Google Update services in the services list, then uncheck them and click OK. Click Restart on the next dialogue box to restart your computer to apply the changes.

Thank you.

• philljarvis
    12 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2018 2:00 PM

By all means feel free to do this, but if you stop updating Chrome (and therefore whatever version of Flash you have) then you will be running an exploitable browser at some point in the near future. And by exploitable I mean you will at some point visit a page with some ads and one of those ads will contain malware that will exploit a bug that will be found in your version of Flash and will do something unpleasant to your PC.

I would strongly advise you to never disable software updates to make your life a bit easier, because there's a very high probability that you will get burned eventually. And Flash in a browser is the biggest hole in your defences, even when it's fully patched!

RSS