Help › Forums

Re: A little help please.

Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:04 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:05 PM

My opinions (and that's all they are; everyone has their own path):

Follow the advice in YankeeJim's first paragraph; IMO this game is most fun when you approach it, mentally, more like a golfer, and less like a gamer.  In this vein, learn all of the shots; full/chip/pitch/punch/flop all have their uses - learn how and when to employ all of them.

Driver: The L48 recommended earlier is a good choice, and is what I used at that level.  That said, if I had it to do over again, I'd have waited for the slower meter TM driver that unlocks at L55.  

3W: If you decide to carry one (not everyone does, at the lower levels), the one that unlocks at L51 is good.

Hybrid: Don't put one in your bag; carry an extra wedge instead.

Irons: Almost everyone will recommend the L59 Ping set, with good reason; they're far and away the best mid-level choice.

Wedges: IMO, the best VALUE are the Gorge/ATV wedges that unlock between L38-42, but for you that ship has already sailed, since you've already purchased wedges in that range. Most people will tell you to not buy more wedges until you unlock the Clevelands in the late L70's.  There's nothing wrong with that advice, though I personally prefer the slightly slower meter (and slightly lower spin) of the L60's Mack Daddy's.

Putter: Of all the mid-range putters, I'm partial to the L55 Daytona, which I think is, arguably, the single best value in the entire Pro Shop (in terms of strokes gained for credits spent).

Balls: I'd suggest playing the B-ES. They're only 10 credits, and the little bit of extra spin is nice to have.  After you've made the jump to Legend tier, switch to the Tour-SD (65 credits).

After the round of club upgrades that you'll make in the L50's, the next round of upgrades shouldn't come until your're in the L80's.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:41 PM

flatstick96:
    Balls: I'd suggest playing the B-ES. They're only 10 credits, and the little bit of extra spin is nice to have

Take it a little further for a bigger gain. The Tour-SDs were a great value because you got both spin AND distance boosts and that really helps with Med lofted irons. They don't stop on a dime (unless you're playing into a wind) but you have better control on what happens after the landing. Nice thing about them was they didn't break the bank and water shots cost less than a quarter. Makes ya brave.  LOL   :)

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2018 3:04 PM

YankeeJim:

Take it a little further for a bigger gain. The Tour-SDs were a great value because you got both spin AND distance boosts and that really helps with Med lofted irons. They don't stop on a dime (unless you're playing into a wind) but you have better control on what happens after the landing. Nice thing about them was they didn't break the bank and water shots cost less than a quarter. Makes ya brave.  LOL   :)

If you can handle the meter, Tour-SD are a great value; they're all I use (both because I'm cheap, and because I like the game to present at least something of a challenge).  My main point for the OP was that, from the shorter tees, you can get by OK with the B-ES if you're scrimping credits to try and upgrade clubs.  

• PAGES
RSS