Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Playing the break

Wed, Oct 14 2009 6:40 AM (2 replies)
  • stevengarcia
    15 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:12 PM

There are numerous inconsistencies putting over a severe slope, either left or right.  The main problem is the ball never leaves the putter aiming directly at the blue arrow when it's deviated far from the hole, at least 1 foot.

This occurs when the meter lands right on the "perfect".  The ball invariably starts inside my aim and I miss the hole on the low side.

This is consistently reproducible!  How does one putt the extreme breaks?  Thanks.

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2009 10:00 PM

Basically, it is a guess to start with and the more you play the better you will get at

the guessing game. I made a 25ft double break today and that makes you feel

real good. Speed is also important.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2009 6:40 AM

Steven-Welcome to the hardest part of the game. I see you're using the standard putter so there are some things you'll have to put up with until you change it. Mind you, there are masters that use it so it can be done.

I think there's a certain amount of unpredictability built into the putter. Call it deviation, the beast, messed up-whatever you want but it's there. It requires you to be extra diligent when aiming and sometimes, not all the time, you get an unexpected result. This is what makes this game like the real thing. I know this sounds a bit lame but that's the way the game is set up.

Search the forum for the post by Nivlac on putting. (It should be required reading IMO.) That alone will get you on the right track. I have my own way to determine aim and it's pretty simple but I only got there by putting a zillion times and figuring it out. If something is  "consistently reproducible! " then you should be able to compensate fairly easily.

Don't get too hung up on the graphics. In practice I can get the golfer to putt backwards through his legs but the start and end of the putt are what I'm looking at and that's just a numbers game-it's all math. If you decide to upgrade at some point I can't say enough about the Redwood and the cheaper Anser. GL

YJ

RSS