Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What do the numbers on greens stand for?

Fri, Oct 5 2018 9:11 PM (6 replies)
  • LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2018 8:51 PM

What do the numbers on the maps of the greens putting surfaces signify?

Here is a map of the green from Kiowa hole number one. You can see this map by selecting “Hole Info”.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2018 9:35 PM

This probably stems from the real course. Full course example with seven areas:

Consider a day with regular visitors playing. At the counter, they will see a sign, "Today's pin position is (1, 2, 3)", so better amateur players have an advance idea where the pins will be - front, back, left, right...

Obviously, in KIA, each green has three regions, marked with their length (in yards, probably). Region allocation and number sort differ from hole to hole. Green keepers follow this scheme when they place the pins.

I'm afraid though that this has no relevance to WGT golf - pin positions usually follow the USO settings which aren't bound to such premises. They may go to the extremes - more or less difficult for each given day of competition.

• LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2018 10:38 PM

I’m sure you’re right. Thanks for taking the time to post such a thoufhtful and complete answer.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2018 10:46 PM

Thanks - I know because I played "Pin position 1" the other day, but I noticed only after the game - I'm brilliant without such help ;)

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2018 3:31 AM

LouisPeter0:

What do the numbers on the maps of the greens putting surfaces signify?

Here is a map of the green from Kiowa hole number one. You can see this map by selecting “Hole Info”.

No:  1  - means that under the official intercontinental golf laws a number 1 on the green means that you should look at it and pretend it's NOT there.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2018 3:52 PM
    It's basically to help with yardages to the pins. If the pin was in position 3 then the player would know it's 7 yards on from the front. Position 2 would be 6 yards from the back. Position 1 would be 24 yards from the front and 22 yards from the back. Players/Caddy's would know distances to the middle of the green and work it out accordingly.
  • Golf4Misha
    1 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2018 9:11 PM

Thank you!

RSS