Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need help tweaking setup (L63 player)

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 17 2018 7:56 PM (5 replies)
  • SlimStoney
    10 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2018 2:29 AM

I'm a L63 Tour Pro, been playing for over 3 weeks, and play on mobile.  Since I started playing this game, I've been watching the ads for credits, and I've done a decent amount of research about club suggestions.  (I also play golf casually IRL)

My purchase history:

• Around L10, I purchased the WGT Starter Plus Set (along with the WGT Tour Starter Wedges), then I bought the WGT Pro 9.5 Driver for the added distance after I realized I tiered up too fast.  
    • From there, I waited to make any upgrades until the L55 TaylorMade M1 9.0 Driver (which I love).  Then (still at L55) I bought the new L51 Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 Wood (which I have mixed feelings about) as well as three L27/29/31 Cleveland 588 56/60/64 degree wedges (which I think I like).
    • I used my Starter Plus irons until L59 when I immediately bought the PING G25 irons.
    • Haven't made a putter upgrade.
    • Was playing with the basic rock before my upgrades at L55; thereafter, I've played either GI-S or GI2-S.

My play-style, strengths, weaknesses

• I am a slightly better player than my stats indicate since (for a while) I didn't notice apparel bonuses were negated in tournament play; I was consistently switching back and forth from tournaments to head-to-heads and (for days) could not figure out why my iron distance control was totally off and why puts seemed off.
    • Putting is probably the strongest part of my game (I'm a "ding putter", use the aim) followed by my short game (but I overuse/over-rely on the flop shot).  My iron play and driving are average.
    • I play on mobile and don't have the greatest reflexes so I often miss the ding and sometimes by a fair amount.  I think I need high meter speed and forgiveness.
    • I have gotten good at reading wind, elevation, lies, surfaces, etc.
    • I put full backspin on almost every shot.

My equipment comments:

• TaylorMade M1 9.0 Driver (L55+): glad I saved/waited for it over the L48 R1; however, its 4.5 meter speed is still tough for me sometimes.
    • Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 Wood (L51+): thought I made the best possible purchase but the meter speed feels slightly fast and the forgiveness feels borderline terrible. Should I have gotten the Big Bertha instead?
    • PING G25 Iron set (L59+):  I've hit some really nice shots with them but when I miss the ding by even a tad the forgiveness is terrible. Pretty much regret buying these things. I'm considering getting the L47 MAX Meters, L32 R11s, or even the Titleist 718 AP2s. There are so many options though - any suggestions?
    • Cleveland 588 Wedges (L26+):  Was thinking of keeping them until the L74+ versions or the L80+ ATVs?  I think I like ditching the hybrid for an extra wedge, and isn't having a shorter-distance, 64-degree wedge a necessity?
    • Thinking of getting either the L51 or L77 TaylorMade Red Spider, but I think this club is more personal feel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Should I ditch the Rogue Sub Zero 3 Wood?  Are stat/attribute values in this game reliable?  Is it more feel?  Should I ditch the G25s?  I feel like they are doing me more harm than good; my distance is spot on almost every shot but I'm missing left and right.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:15 PM

I can't offer my personal opinion on your driver because I never owned it (I played the L48 back then), but LOTS of people seem to really like your driver.  I imagine you're set there for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't worry about your 3W - at the Tour Pro level you should be hitting it...pretty much never.  3W isn't a club of much consequence until you're playing from the legend tees.  You should be able to scuffle along with the one you have until you can buy the L86 Rogue.  I would not spend money on another 3 W right now.

I played the L59 Ping irons for a long time and liked them very much; not sure why you're finding them so hard to hit.  If you find that you consistently miss the ding early or late, you can allow for that when setting up your shot.  Hell, I often miss the ding on purpose to offset crosswind.  Missing the ding doesn't have to be the end of the world, as long as you understand how it affects your shot, and allow for that.  I'd give these irons a bit more of a chance before deciding to ditch them.  If you *do* ditch them, try to find something with a meter closer to your driver/3W (I'm a big proponent of matching meter speeds, if possible).  Ideally, you learn to live with these until you can get the L85 Rogue irons.

Had you posted this before you bought your wedges, I would have advocated for a combination of the ATV/Gorge wedges that unlock in the L38-42 range; they're a stupid good value for what they cost; but alas, that ship has sailed.  Now that you have the ones you do, I'd play with what you have for a while longer.

I think the L55 Daytona putter is, arguably, the best value in the entire pro shop.  And I don't just mean among putters - I mean the ENTIRE pro shop.  Just my opinion.  

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2018 4:15 AM

i wont advise you on clubs......purely a personnal preference for you.....but i would say if your missing your precision with them irons then change....you seem to be proggresing ok......what i would say is learn a type of shot and concentrate on getting really good with it.....learn a type of shot you can go to when you need to pull off a good shot......i spent alot of time mastering the punch shot from 25 yds to 50.......now i know my distances so well....inside 50 yds ill stick it dead.....wind permitting and if i hit my ding that is.....thats my shot that saves many shots for me.......find your shotsaver and practice it until its mastered....

• SlimStoney
    10 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2018 12:41 AM

Thanks, flatstick96, I think I will "scuffle along" with my Sub Zero, lol.  It is a good club; I think what was making me miss dings with this club (and the L59 Ping irons) is that I "upgraded" to the Starter Plus Set with an increased meter speed of 5.0.  The thought that the Plus Set might maladapt me to the meter speeds of later purchases did cross my mind, but my thought process was that I would ignore my meter skills/practice in the beginning and just focus on learning shots, distances, wind, etc. 

Although I have been using a 2-meter ball the last few days, I've been better enjoying the Sub Zero and especially the Pings.  I've been making some really good shots with the Pings and even pulled out a 1st place finish in last week's mobile 9-hole tourney with a score of 30. It was definitely a mistake buying those high-meter starter clubs, but I think I'm getting better at hitting center swings (or maybe I'm just a noob who uses 2-meter cheater balls, lol).

As for my wedges, they've been alright, but I just rented one of the mid-60 level Mack Daddy's and it was nice.  (Probably going to hold on to wedges for a while, though, like you said)

As for my putter, I've been beasting it with the starter putter, and then just rented the L59 Sabertooth and didn't really like it.  Don't know what to do here.  Thinking about the L70 Versa.  Afraid to commit to an increment system that I might have to change for my end putter (apparently the last Sabertooth is the best?).

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2018 5:49 PM

SlimStoney:

Thanks, flatstick96, I think I will "scuffle along" with my Sub Zero, lol.  It is a good club; I think what was making me miss dings with this club (and the L59 Ping irons) is that I "upgraded" to the Starter Plus Set with an increased meter speed of 5.0.  The thought that the Plus Set might maladapt me to the meter speeds of later purchases did cross my mind, but my thought process was that I would ignore my meter skills/practice in the beginning and just focus on learning shots, distances, wind, etc. 

Although I have been using a 2-meter ball the last few days, I've been better enjoying the Sub Zero and especially the Pings.  I've been making some really good shots with the Pings and even pulled out a 1st place finish in last week's mobile 9-hole tourney with a score of 30. It was definitely a mistake buying those high-meter starter clubs, but I think I'm getting better at hitting center swings (or maybe I'm just a noob who uses 2-meter cheater balls, lol).

As for my wedges, they've been alright, but I just rented one of the mid-60 level Mack Daddy's and it was nice.  (Probably going to hold on to wedges for a while, though, like you said)

As for my putter, I've been beasting it with the starter putter, and then just rented the L59 Sabertooth and didn't really like it.  Don't know what to do here.  Thinking about the L70 Versa.  Afraid to commit to an increment system that I might have to change for my end putter (apparently the last Sabertooth is the best?).

Glad to hear you're getting used to the Ping irons; they're really very good.  Use them until you can buy the Rogues at L85.

You may be seeing a pattern emerge here; starter gear generally gets you through the first 50 levels or so, at which point you really benefit from making across-the-board club improvements to continue to stay competitive (this is where you are now; L55 driver, L51 3W, L59 irons) - then, the next round of worthwhile improvements will come when you get into the L80's.  Don't waste money on drivers, 3-woods, or irons until you get to the L80's.  Once you do get there, you'll hopefully have credits saved up, and you can buy the equipment that will get you to the high L90's.  Be advised, it takes roughly the same number of XP to get from L1 to L82 as it does to get from L82 to L90, so leveling up slows down tremendously around the time you will next be upgrading your gear.

Re: wedges, nearly everyone will tell you that the only wedges you should buy are the Cleveland wedges that you'll unlock in the late L70's - I don't completely agree.  I opted to combine the 80 and 100 yard mid-range (L60's) Mack Daddy wedges (4.0 meter) with the top-end 60 yard Cleveland wedge (3.5 meter), because I wanted as much 4.0 meter consistency across the set as I could get (my driver, 3W, and irons are all 4.0 meter), and because I actually wanted *less* spin with my longer wedges (I don't want my 65-100 yards shots backing up any appreciable distance - I want them hitting and stopping on a dime - and the L60's MD wedges have enough spin to achieve that in almost any conditions).  I do like having the higher spin of the Cleveland on my shortest wedge, because it comes in handy on less-than-full shots around the green (but I still wish that club had 4.0 meter instead of 3.5).  If the game ever gets with the times and adds a 64* 60 yard MD wedge (with a meter that is 4.0 or slower), I'll buy it to replace my 60 yard Cleveland.  But for now, I'm stuck with the Cleveland, which is fine.

There's a good thread on the forum here about putter precision, where guys have actually mapped putts with a variety of putters; look through it, and you'll understand the limitations of the starter putter (hint: where it really struggles is consistency).  I used the starter putter until I got to L55; when I got there, I did a free rental on the Daytona, and bought it immediately.  Used it right up until I bought the L98 sabertooth that is all the rage among the top players.  Actually, when I got to L98, I rented the sabertooth...and compared to the L55 Daytona, I hated it, so I didn't buy it.  But every time I'd play against someone who had the L98 sabertooth I'd pick their brain, and every one of them said it took awhile to get used to it.  So when a free rental weekend came up, I rented it again for two days and played a ton with it, and bought it.  And now that I'm used to it, it's all I use.  But I still kept the Daytona, because it's so damned good, and so damned cheap.  Fun fact: if you go look at the list of the highest earners in WGT history, the guy at the top of the list uses...the L55 Daytona.  :-)

• SlimStoney
    10 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2018 7:56 PM

flatstick96:

You may be seeing a pattern emerge here; starter gear generally gets you through the first 50 levels or so, at which point you really benefit from making across-the-board club improvements to continue to stay competitive (this is where you are now; L55 driver, L51 3W, L59 irons) - then, the next round of worthwhile improvements will come when you get into the L80's.  Don't waste money on drivers, 3-woods, or irons until you get to the L80's.  Once you do get there, you'll hopefully have credits saved up, and you can buy the equipment that will get you to the high L90's.  Be advised, it takes roughly the same number of XP to get from L1 to L82 as it does to get from L82 to L90, so leveling up slows down tremendously around the time you will next be upgrading your gear.

My thoughts EXACTLY.  Thanks for the reaffirmation.

flatstick96:

Re: wedges, nearly everyone will tell you that the only wedges you should buy are the Cleveland wedges that you'll unlock in the late L70's - I don't completely agree.  I opted to combine the 80 and 100 yard mid-range (L60's) Mack Daddy wedges (4.0 meter) with the top-end 60 yard Cleveland wedge (3.5 meter), because I wanted as much 4.0 meter consistency across the set as I could get (my driver, 3W, and irons are all 4.0 meter), and because I actually wanted *less* spin with my longer wedges (I don't want my 65-100 yards shots backing up any appreciable distance - I want them hitting and stopping on a dime - and the L60's MD wedges have enough spin to achieve that in almost any conditions).  I do like having the higher spin of the Cleveland on my shortest wedge, because it comes in handy on less-than-full shots around the green (but I still wish that club had 4.0 meter instead of 3.5).  If the game ever gets with the times and adds a 64* 60 yard MD wedge (with a meter that is 4.0 or slower), I'll buy it to replace my 60 yard Cleveland.  But for now, I'm stuck with the Cleveland, which is fine.

.......I was looking at your set up yesterday and I JUST bought the L67/68 Mack Daddies literally 5 minutes before I read your post, haha.  I'm with you on the meter speed consistency; I think it could improve your game more than 0.5 better spin or precision, and I'm with you on the over-spin problem at range.

I rented the L40s Mack Daddies (and liked them) and contemplated buying them during my mid-50s mass-upgrade, but when I figured out there was no 64* they were a no-go with my OCD (can't have mismatched clubs!).  I will keep my L31 64* Cleveland until your L80 64* Cleveland, but I think I've even seen some guys go with a MAX Spin 64*?

Thanks for the putter advice / personal history!  I might rent the L55 Daytona and I'll read up more on putters before I use any more credits on rentals.  Thanks for all your help, man!  Friended.

RSS