Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Ding Advice (hit more dings? maybe)

Sat, Mar 23 2019 10:17 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 6:29 PM

I made the calculator myself and the ruler has been around for years. These things do not make you a better player they just cut back on time it takes to play a shot. I can get the same result using no ruler and no spreadsheet but I would play a bit slower. These items are a matter of convenience more than anything else. 

For example lets just assume someone has played for 6 years and is a clueless 68 average legend it will make very little if any difference to your game whether you have a ruler or not. If you are happy playing that way I don't see a problem as long as it is fun for you. I would say majority of people on wgt are keen to improve though.

If you think it takes no thought you are badly mistaken lol Go make a calculator that is accurate and do it with out thinking :) Or come up with a way to hit shots that is beyond "I have 160y up 8 ft" If you could you would have already :P

As far as sounding bored while playing..I am not really playing in the video..just trying to show what works for me when it comes to hitting more dings.

Anyway the thread was not intended to offend any anti math people or whatever...I use math and admit it with 100% guilt lol If you are against using math I have a good suggestion...don't use it lol I will be using it whether on a spreadsheet, hand held calculator or in my head.

Good Luck

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:14 AM

Well said ^^^ many +1's.

I don't get why people who supposedly play by "feel" get all up in a tizzy when someone uses a spreadsheet.  Guess they might be the bored ones.  Lol

• climatic
    183 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2018 6:20 AM

WaLk0fLiFe:

I made the calculator myself and the ruler has been around for years. These things do not make you a better player they just cut back on time it takes to play a shot. I can get the same result using no ruler and no spreadsheet but I would play a bit slower. These items are a matter of convenience more than anything else. 

For example lets just assume someone has played for 6 years and is a clueless 68 average legend it will make very little if any difference to your game whether you have a ruler or not. If you are happy playing that way I don't see a problem as long as it is fun for you. I would say majority of people on wgt are keen to improve though.

If you think it takes no thought you are badly mistaken lol Go make a calculator that is accurate and do it with out thinking :) Or come up with a way to hit shots that is beyond "I have 160y up 8 ft" If you could you would have already :P

As far as sounding bored while playing..I am not really playing in the video..just trying to show what works for me when it comes to hitting more dings.

Anyway the thread was not intended to offend any anti math people or whatever...I use math and admit it with 100% guilt lol If you are against using math I have a good suggestion...don't use it lol I will be using it whether on a spreadsheet, hand held calculator or in my head.

Good Luck

+1 Very well said Jo

• meresi
    84 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2019 9:51 AM

sorry, i couldn't get behind the trick how to hit the ding almost everytime...it's okay for me when people are incl. maths to the game, actually it's mandatory if one wants to get better. my own calculation are very good as long as i hit the ding, but that is very difficult for me...out of 10 maybe 3 times...so what the heck am i doing wrong...? why are you taking out the pin? and does one have to set the cursor on top of the ding? lot of questions...

meresi

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:41 PM

WaLk0fLiFe:
    For example lets just assume someone has played for 8 years and is a clueless 68 average legend it will make very little if any difference to your game whether you have a ruler or not

Lol, FTFY WaLk. 68.68 actually,  & yup, still gots my ruler. I usually  blame my caddie, or my avatar, an' occasionally WGT. Seriously tho, I am tryin' to improve. You givin' lessons ?

Doc :)

@ OP,

For some of us it helps to set up visual reference points around the "ding" line. Personally , I use a transparent pc. of plastic with markings for both "ding" line & power %. ( similar to  putter & shot pal ), but of my own design. I can't be bothered with all the percentage figures an' calculations ( hence my "clueless" 68 average legend rank, lol ). As far as "ding" rate, setting up a line before the "ding " and moving it according to ball / club meter speed, should help you improve that percentage greatly. Gl.

Doc :)

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2019 4:18 PM
    Hmmm, Personally, with my clubs and balls, I just count 1-2-3-4-5 and hit. Works a decent percentage of the time. With the level 34 Callys I've taken to, with a little faster meter than I was used to when using the more expensive balls, I just have to count to 5 a tad faster.
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2019 12:21 PM

Just like real golf, it's all part of a proper setup and being able to repeat it.  I play on different computers.  One at work in normal computer desk posture, miss dings alot.  But at home, when I can get into a more comfortable set up position, I ding much more often.  I also post higher scores when I ding more.  It's drives me crazy lol.  

Image result for using computer on toilet

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2019 10:17 AM

hpurey:

Just like real golf, it's all part of a proper setup and being able to repeat it.  I play on different computers.  One at work in normal computer desk posture, miss dings alot.  But at home, when I can get into a more comfortable set up position, I ding much more often.  I also post higher scores when I ding more.  It's drives me crazy lol.  

Image result for using computer on toilet

yes you are! But just to the color yellow!

• PAGES
RSS