Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Courses?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:00 AM (4 replies)
  • Timmytoastman
    567 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 9:48 AM

What I wonder is if WGT could offer an off the wall course that they wouldn't have to pay copyright fees to present here. Maybe offer an even trade for the publicity?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 10:11 AM

Timmytoastman:
       What I wonder is if WGT could offer an off the wall course that they wouldn't have to pay copyright fees to present here. Maybe offer an even trade for the publicity?   

Respectfully, that sort of misses the point. WGT wants/needs high-profile courses for the publicity and marketing those courses provide WGT.

Whatever costs WGT incurs to offer a course such as Pebble Beach has to be more than made up (I believe) in attracting new players. How would one attract new players by advertising/offering courses people have generally never heard of?

I suppose WGT might have lower attrition rates (current players leaving) if it offered even "off the wall" courses. But there's still all the costs involved in mapping and getting the course in the system. I don't think simply having lower attrition rates would be enough to make it worthwhile. 

• Timmytoastman
    567 Posts
    Thu, Jul 19 2018 6:41 AM

Good point Robert. But for those of us that aren't going anywhere, and more than likely spend the lions share, it would be welcome relief from the boredom factor! That's the point I'm trying to make. Of course, I don't have a clue as to "mapping" costs. I was just wondering if it was feasible.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Jul 19 2018 6:48 AM

I absolutely agree that any new courses would be welcomed. To me, I wouldn't care what the course is--known or unknown--as long as it was interesting. There are a lot of great courses out there that I think would absolutely be fun to play. 

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:00 AM

it would be interesting to see the numbers for a new course. I would say they have to pay out a fair bit to get the top course. I would suggest it all comes down to their advertising team and how well they are at selling the idea of having a clubs course on here.

Some will want money for using their course like the big ones etc, some will need licences etc if on other games but some would be happy to have them come round and do it for free just for some free publicity. Of course they would charge a day rate or somthing to cover cost's of losses green fee's but that be about it. 

I would even go as far to say that some courses out there would even help fund the work. With the numbers the game claims to have, a decent course in a big town/city would benefit from players playing on it on here then going to it in real life. Not saying they would get millions of people turning up but if they get a few green fee's each month it would all add up. Plus once word spreads then more people talk about it and go there and the club becomes a bigger know course and gets better.

Some posh clubs would just have their course on here just to make it sound even more fancy. 

The biggest trick they are missing is that they haven't got any sponsors helping them. They could go to someone like BMW or HSBC who hole a reasonable size tournament on the circuits and get them to fund the course so for example in the uk the bmw is at wentworth. If they was clever they would get them to do that then have a BMW Open on here on that course. So therefor BMW gets even more sponsorship and can put their name on other little things in the game. Replace that silly lexus stuff we get for starters.

If it wants to be the best and biggest golf game out there it needs to start getting other big sponsores involved and what better way than to have a virtual thing of what they already do in real life.

Another easy option would be to go to countries that wont cost as much like Japan/China/Eastern Europe.  Yes abit of hassle getting there but the amount saved once there would probably work out in their favour. More courses from different countries is needed, just to increase the games profile if anything. Plus the variety would be good for the game.

But hey this is a site that allows its video adverts to show another golf game........ says it all really.

RSS