Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New legend - unprepared!!!!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:15 AM (46 replies)
  • SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 2:31 AM

Just for info I play exclusively on mobile - my fault for not pointing it out

To be honest it was about 3 months until i realised this was actually a PC game

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 2:34 AM

new info - never crossed my mind. maybe it is not as prominent on the mobile platform but I never really got what the point of the country club thing was. Will check it out, sometimes in the second half of the month i feel a bit bored playing the weekly, and having lost interest on the monthly

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 2:34 AM

:) could well be once I figure out what its all about, still not quite sure

• Rushore100
    29 Posts
    Sun, Jul 15 2018 2:39 PM

If you haven't done it already, I would definitely map your clubs.  Get yourselves some nicer wedges as others have indicated, then go out to a flat course like Kiawah for a practice round, and get a feel for how far each club will go down the fairway.  The first fairway at Kiawah is flat and straight, but be sure to select light winds.  Make sure you note how far the ball flies just in the air since rollout will be affected by a lot of factors.  Note the different distance for full backspin, full topspin, and no spin.  Also test the distance when you hit one meter line short of a full shot (the difference in that and a full shot gets greater as you move from shorter to longer irons) so you'll know how much to hit when you're between clubs. 

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 1:11 AM

SheryarAdam:

Just got a note through that I have made Legend status - was not expecting it as score average was still 62+. Not sure why it happened - although guess I shouldnt complain - that was the point of playing!

That said, not really prepared for it at all - have seen quite a few people mention that it can be a bit of a downer, going from being competitive at Tour Master and then completely uncompetitive at Legend.

I had a similar experience a long time ago ....... 3 or 4 years ago maybe, I logged off one night as a 64. something T/M and when I went in in the morning I was at Legend !! 

Shock ........ you could say that !! Anyway after some initial whingeing I got my head down and played on and re-learned the game from the back tees.

One thing I will emphasise now is that the options that are available regarding clubs and balls are much greater now.

I was using the G20 woods and irons and the Cleveland wedges I still use, I think I was using the Srixon ball too. The only real upgrade in irons was up to the R11, but this had a vicious meter speed that I didn't fancy, or the Speedblades/Rocketblades.

I was lucky that you could at that time take advantage of a promotion and get the R1 driver at level 91 and that made a big difference off the back tees as well as upgrading to the level 90 Nike ball. I did try the Speedblades, but the arrival of the Nike V forged irons transformed my game and I was able to move on.

I've no doubt the above will strike a chord with other long standing players on here, but we all managed ..... somehow.

There is now a myriad of higher spec equipment which will ease your path, you are spoilt for choice out there.

It has also been suggested you join a more active Country Club, which you haven't done yet ! This would help you no end, there are plenty out there that have members who will offer plenty of good advice. You are in a dead CC and are just playing in WGT tourneys, a good CC will have a good selection of tournaments to play too

So take the advice and try it, we may just happen to know what we are talking about !

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 1:24 AM

I must admit this is the it I get lazy at - I am much more of a "feel" player - play casually and just eyeball what I think is needed and its obviously close enough often enough - but not all the time. You are definitely right regarding the wedges in and around the green though - i am no more confident of getting it stone dead from 30 yards than I am from 90 yards!

Just by way of general update I have found no problem at all so far making birdies at legend level - it feels more or less exactly as before in temrs of numbers of birdies - in fact on non-crazy greens I find it easier to putt at the higher speed

The big difference is the bogies - making a lot more than before. Was 4 under through 5 at Kiawah and shot 35!! And other similar examples.

Finally i would say I am actually having a lot more fun playing with the reduced expectations to be honest. As I got to be one of the better players at Tour Master level I really wanted to win competitions - every bogey meant restarting the round as I needed a 29 to move forward - became more about  trying to get that score rather than simply playing (little knowing that as soon as I won twice they would bump me up!!)

Now I go into a tourney, the top score at St Andrews is something daft like 54 and there is no way to compete (*right now) - so I just go around and play and enjoy the golf - sometimes I shoot 70, sometimes I shoot 63 - but i enjoy every birdie and even some pars (getting used to these 500 yard par4 into the wind holes, not!)

• Rushore100
    29 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:15 AM

I know exactly what you mean about the tourney scores.  I felt like I could compete a bit more with legend and champion level players when I was a tour master because of the more forward tees.  What I started doing was looking for tournaments for legend tier only.  Every once in a while, I'll play a tierless tournament, and I've had some success, but I'm now pretty competitive in the legend-only ones.

RSS