Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Different balls, same performance?

Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:05 AM (3 replies)
  • SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Tue, Jul 3 2018 11:47 PM

Hi everyone

Mapping my new clubs (Callaway Rogue Lv 85), and playing some practice games, I am trying to locate the effect of the wind with the spin of these clubs.

As I did not find a percentage similar to the previous G25, I decided to try different balls to see if I found the right one ... And I got a strange surprise:

Same clubs, same position on the fairway, same wind (45º 16mph headwind), always Full Back Spin... How is it possible 3 different balls make the same distance ???

Iron 8, 100% shot

Old Nike 20XI-X L48 (Dist 4.5 Spin 3.5) 135 yds

Callaway Hex Chrome+ L39 (Dist 4.0 - Spin 2.5) 135 yds

Srixon L13 (Dist 2.5 - Spin 2.0) 134 yds

Iron 4, 100% Shot - This have different carry, but with roll cover 190 what I neeed test:

Old Nike 20XI-X L48 (Dist 4.5 Spin 3.5) 187yds

Callaway Hex Chrome+ L39 (Dist 4.0 - Spin 2.5) 189 yds

Srixon L13 (Dist 2.5 - Spin 2.0) 186 yds

I always thought that a ball should have less spin then distance (because having a higher spin, with headwind completely nullifies the distance advantage), but I did not imagine that no matter how much spin and how much distance the ball has, what seems to be noticed is that have the same proportion and will perform equally.

Could please some player with more experience (and credits hehehe) have done a similar test, confirm if my discovery is correct or am I a fool who does not understand that the difference between expensive and economic balls should be only one yard?

Thanks in advance for the help :)
  • sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 2:24 AM

SauloMagno:

Hi everyone

Mapping my new clubs (Callaway Rogue Lv 85), and playing some practice games, I am trying to locate the effect of the wind with the spin of these clubs.

As I did not find a percentage similar to the previous G25, I decided to try different balls to see if I found the right one ... And I got a strange surprise:

Same clubs, same position on the fairway, same wind (45º 16mph headwind), always Full Back Spin... How is it possible 3 different balls make the same distance ???

Iron 8, 100% shot

Old Nike 20XI-X L48 (Dist 4.5 Spin 3.5) 135 yds

Callaway Hex Chrome+ L39 (Dist 4.0 - Spin 2.5) 135 yds

Srixon L13 (Dist 2.5 - Spin 2.0) 134 yds

Iron 4, 100% Shot - This have different carry, but with roll cover 190 what I neeed test:

Old Nike 20XI-X L48 (Dist 4.5 Spin 3.5) 187yds

Callaway Hex Chrome+ L39 (Dist 4.0 - Spin 2.5) 189 yds

Srixon L13 (Dist 2.5 - Spin 2.0) 186 yds

I always thought that a ball should have less spin then distance (because having a higher spin, with headwind completely nullifies the distance advantage), but I did not imagine that no matter how much spin and how much distance the ball has, what seems to be noticed is that have the same proportion and will perform equally.

Could please some player with more experience (and credits hehehe) have done a similar test, confirm if my discovery is correct or am I a fool who does not understand that the difference between expensive and economic balls should be only one yard?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

In my experience the distance attribute on a ball has much more impact on your drives, not your irons. Would be terrible if your irons that are at say 120 yards suddenly go 130 yards just because of the ball. Would be hard to get the distances right. On drives however I do notice more difference when playing against players with considerably different balls and the same clubs. ... Also, the wind is never completely consistent as it always gives a range of 2-3 mph, so that too can lead to the results you saw?

• lonniescott711
    4,181 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 8:44 AM

Also just because the wind indicator shows wind , doesnt mean there is wind . Thats one of the circumstances we have to deal with . We cant feel the wind so we dont know if its true or not . Its not until after we hit the ball do we really see wind effects or not .

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:05 AM

Thanks for answer guys.

This results is for 5 ding shots every one and I I calculated the average... My surprise is really with Nike ball, 2 yds less then that Calla, but I imagine in game that can stop in greeen with tailwind in St Andrews :D

Well, I try another balls too, and find best ball for my clubs and my game style is Callaway Hex Chrome+ L39. Is really consistent for me while I advance to legend and I guess gonna use Callaway HEX Chrome L45. That 1.5 difference between spin and distance lokks ideal for me.

My posts go to moderation, so I don't know when this is published :(

Many thanks for help guys!

P.S: I'm Tour Master since yesterday! :D

RSS