Help › Forums

Re: Hindsight?

Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:37 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 11:05 PM

TopShelf2010:

After watching the US Open over the last few days, and saw how difficult the course was playing, and how much negative press Shinnecock Hills was receiving, I thought to myself...

"I wonder if MisterWGT saw this coming?"

I doubt it, BTB offers a more realistic reason. Personally, I'm less disappointed in not getting it after watching the real thing. Chambers Bay with 20 greens will get you the same buzz and it's more interesting to look at. That course here would get owned immediately and become a rather plain, uninspiring track.

Wolf Creek is coming, a much better choice by WGT, IMO. :-)

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 12:00 AM

birchi:
    When Pebble Beach hosted the US Open in 2010 the winning score was even par. Yet it's no problem whatsoever to play a -18 in the WGT version of the course.

Maybe  for you its not, but for a huge number that sort of score is but a dream

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 12:52 AM

borntobesting:

I still say we didn’t get Shinnecick Hills because the ownership of Shinnecock Hills said no. WGT has a contract with the U.S.G.A but not each course. 

You are probably right. Watching the show this weekend I realized one reason might have been the fear that WGT scores in the 50s for a course like this would have seemed so unrealistic. (Although Fleetwood shot a 63 and left a good 3 more birdies out there on the greens.)

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 4:52 AM

Many of the pros complained about the SET UP of the course, not the course itself. With the U S Open, the rough is grown to an outrageous depth, the pins are put in the most difficult locations, while the greens are manicured to a glass-like height.

During the broadcast many comments were made about keeping drives in the short grass. Yet we saw players consistently hitting off line, perhaps because of the wind. Sunday the wind was lighter and the pins were located in far easier spots. The professionals were thus able to give us an entertaining final round.

But let us also consider  one last fact. Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is played daily by mostly amateurs  The set up for these amateurs is far different than the open set up. The professionals drop by every few years and at that time the course is changed. To have Shinnecock ready for us to play around the time of the open, it would have been photographed and developed  by WGT  the way the locals see the club.

We would have gotten a far different course, had WGT been able to give it to us.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:50 AM

SlicedPepper:

We should have Shinnecock Hills and it should play like the US Open just did.

Give those low shooters something that will bite back.

If the game actually played like the real courses no one would play them . None of the courses that we already have are simple easy courses in real life . Even the scores that the lesser players post arent real , much less the elite .

Players complain about the scores of the elite players , but accuse them of cheating and watch the back lash . Those same players who complain are also the ones who defend them .So play the game for your enjoyment and just have fun with that .

• ForeverHackin
    2,310 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 3:35 PM

A lot of good points made in this thread. Hard to single out one or two to quote. 

IMHO, I remember the feeling when I first hit Wolf Creek CTTH...I was chompin at the bit, looking to hit the full course!!!! The scenery is like nothing we see on any other course on WGT and with all the elevation changes, it should be plenty challenging. 

When they get done with Wolf Creek, maybe they will fully develop one of the Hawaii courses!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 4:41 PM

ForeverHackin:
    IMHO, I remember the feeling when I first hit Wolf Creek CTTH...I was chompin at the bit, looking to hit the full course!!!! The scenery is like nothing we see on any other course on WGT and with all the elevation changes, it should be plenty challenging. 

Exactly. Bigtime looking forward to that release.  :-)

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:37 AM

Lmao @ folks comparing SH with PH looking at the pics.. Both entirely different courses and SH is way superior. It would play much easier on WGT as WGT greens are incapable of being firm

• PAGES
RSS