Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Casual player living @level 25

Tue, May 1 2018 9:28 AM (9 replies)
  • MarkShreve
    2 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:29 PM

I’m absolutely in love with this game but I do not play enough to be able to advance to higher levels and increase my driving distances, upgrade my clubs etc.  I blew $20 on buying extra credits to help with the clubs but, I think because of the level I’m at, I’m chronically stuck hitting 245-255 yd drives and being overwhelmed by courses.  Am I missing some way to “buy-up” extra power and levels so I can play legit distances with clubs and enjoy the courses as a casual player?  I don’t play online matches, I generally have time to fly through a round in 30 minutes and exit game.  Any help appreciated.  I’ve basically given up playing bc of this at this point, despite the unbelievable graphics and playability...so i figured I’d post and see if I’m missing something.

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 10:12 AM

not without either buying level boosts or joining a club that has a custom course set up which gives you bonus xp. Your still a low level so cant be having a 300 yard driver unfortunately. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 10:22 AM

I sent you an invite to our club, we can help you, if your truely interested.  

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 1:06 PM

MarkShreve:
     Am I missing some way to “buy-up” extra power and levels so I can play legit distances with clubs and enjoy the courses as a casual player?
    Apparently ;)

There's nothing in the (PC) player - all in clubs (95%) and balls (5%)!

In the Pro Shop, these features depend on levels = XPs, thus diligent playing is paramount (the level-up boosts are equally expensive and limited in operation).

As an Amateur tier, you shouldn't be overwhelmed too much by courses which fit to your tier - the important gaps are at Master and Legend tiers (far away now).

My tip, worth two Pfennig:

- upgrade 3WD after L31,

- upgrade driver after L48,

- upgrade Wedges after L39 (sorry to see that you wasted at L14)

- upgrade putter after L55.

This game ain't easy-easy - it's more likely half-easy. Enjoy the game and enjoy the views!

• GoofyGolpher
    1 Posts
    Wed, Apr 18 2018 8:34 PM

What about the course(s) intimidates you?  If you play course play, your by yourself, no embarrassing moments,or rude comments.This game can be a money pit if you get intimidated by course or player.  The club advancement starts after a series of levels is played.  This helps you to learn control of your swing and the relation club to ball and the balls reaction to top spin, back spin or Ping Shots.  Wind is a factor as well.

as you level up, the clubs you can purchase can get more powerful with angle and distance and therefore increase more control of your swing.  Buying balls can slow down swing meter for control, but you must master the ping shot.

you can't rush the clubs or your control will falter.  The game teaches you in steps control the higher up you level.

REMEMBER THIS ONE THING, it is not how far you drive the ball, it's the accuracy of where it ends up.

There are many players who rank very high with standard club set and ball.

you need to decide if you want to be top dog or if you just want to play golf.

use what you have.  Look at club charts and learn the math, yes, this is a math game no doubt at all.  Swing charts club charts putting formulas, they take some time to learn, but in practice mode they can help refinement tremendously.

for fun is best approach, once you start spending, it can be endless.

either way, it's golf, no rush. Work on swing and advance when your swing is ready.

my opinions only. Oh, there are folks who give you list of what clubs are best for each level.  The real enemy is how you swing them. 🏌

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2018 6:50 PM

There is some good advice already in this thread, but I will add my $0.02.

I have not been playing long but what I have learned so far is to just do it!  Get out there and hit the balls you have with the clubs you have and have a good time. 

Play some of the easier courses - it will ease the frustration of shorter distance clubs and mis-dings!  My biggest problem all along has been timing the hit (the ding), so I continue to work on that before worrying about getting new clubs that will send my errant shots even further in the rough or even OB!

Play practice rounds when you can and take those mulligans to work on specific shots to get the hang of them.  Use the free starter balls for practice since you will not use them up!  Also, set the tees to easy and wind to ight to minimize these effects.  I have spent numerous hours in practice - I have recorded results of me repeatedly hitting each club from the tee and from the fairway to determine distances for carry and roll for full swings, pitches, chips, etc.  I do this for various swing powers, usually, 100%, 90%, 80%, 70% and 50%.  I have also put my ball into each type of rough, brush, sand, etc., doing the same repetitive practice and recording results.  

Sounds like work, but it gets you comfortable with hitting the ding and with knowing how far each club will go in each circumstance.

You will get more XP by being in a CC, which will help you move up in levels where you unlock more goodies.  Being in a mid-to-upper level club gets you shot pals and putter pals, and CC passes to increase you XP.

Many here have gotten very good - through hours of practice and play - including taking notes and learning from others.  There are some good Youtube videos for WGT by some of the best players - search for those.  

Just play to have fun, and you will.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 11:35 AM

GoofyGolpher:

What about the course(s) intimidates you?  If you play course play, your by yourself, no embarrassing moments,or rude comments.This game can be a money pit if you get intimidated by course or player.  The club advancement starts after a series of levels is played.  This helps you to learn control of your swing and the relation club to ball and the balls reaction to top spin, back spin or Ping Shots.  Wind is a factor as well.

as you level up, the clubs you can purchase can get more powerful with angle and distance and therefore increase more control of your swing.  Buying balls can slow down swing meter for control, but you must master the ping shot.

you can't rush the clubs or your control will falter.  The game teaches you in steps control the higher up you level.

REMEMBER THIS ONE THING, it is not how far you drive the ball, it's the accuracy of where it ends up.

There are many players who rank very high with standard club set and ball.

you need to decide if you want to be top dog or if you just want to play golf.

use what you have.  Look at club charts and learn the math, yes, this is a math game no doubt at all.  Swing charts club charts putting formulas, they take some time to learn, but in practice mode they can help refinement tremendously.

for fun is best approach, once you start spending, it can be endless.

either way, it's golf, no rush. Work on swing and advance when your swing is ready.

my opinions only. Oh, there are folks who give you list of what clubs are best for each level.  The real enemy is how you swing them. 🏌

Sage advice from someone of 10 days experience...

Who hasn't played for a week !!   ;-)

• Higgs20
    451 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 12:07 PM

well I hope you are still playing, but I hate to break it to you: you fell for the "money grab" that is low level clubs.  You 100% will need new gear, but you, sadly, did not at your time of purchase.  just have fun with what you spent your money on and dial in your game with them.  also, upgrade your balls to the cheap WGT Tour-SD. For some pocket change you will get a few extra yards of course, but the real FUN will come when you can actually stop the ball better on the greens.  The "2" dots of extra spin the Tour-SDs give you are actually going to be very helpful through Master level IMO (personally, I used them to reach Legend).  and as a casual gamer, that is going to be quite some time.

Also, please note that the "cool" better gear doesn't really come into play for a while.  go a google search for "WGT club upgrade path" and there are several nice guides floating.  keep in mind you can sell your clubs back (at a significant loss, so don't get too excited) to help defer your future purchases.  The L48 Taylormade driver will revolutionize your game.  It really is quite the boom stick. 

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 3:54 PM

sry mark

youve been a member for nearly a year and you only just asking for advice?

if you dont play online games get a  golf game thats not online

sry if i sound abrupt

• MarkShreve
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 1 2018 9:28 AM

Well...yeah as noted in the header of my initial post. I didn’t even know there was an active website- I was just playing rounds and enjoying.  For the others on the thread, thank you so much for the tips and tricks, I’ve been playing a bit more, using the passes whenever available to help the club, and am gradually moving up.  Appreciate the thoughtful replies.

RSS