Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 4th Man

Tue, Apr 17 2018 7:44 PM (9 replies)
  • OneRightWay
    15 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2018 10:16 AM

Can anyone explain why the 4th person in Alt play seems to be the hardest golfer to find? The first three players pop in rather quickly, then the fourth player takes exceptionally long to show up?

Just wondering...

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:45 AM

One of the reasons that I have a number of players on a friends list is that I can have a better chance of playing a multi-player game with people I know will be well suited to the group. Random players are not easy to find and may not fit the overall group.

You have played 4142 alternate shot games but have only 2 "friends". Why did you not send friend requests to some of these people you played with? If you had 200 friends you would find some who are ready for a game and might join you when you are trying to form a group.  And some of the people who have joined your group might suggest some of their friends who are available. It really is not that hard to fill a foursome if you have a list to work with.

And surprise, surprise; some of these 'friends" might send you invitations to play. 

• OneRightWay
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 5:13 PM

It's not a matter of judging other people's friends list. It is more of a matter of random selection, and why the fourth player in Alt gms seems to be the hardest to join. Not a big issue, but random players I find are very pleasant, and enjoyable, without the obligations of a 'list' or 'club'.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 5:50 PM

• OneRightWay
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 6:03 PM

Thank you Don.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 12:12 AM

TopShelf2010:
    I am certainly no expert when it comes to AS or Match play for that matter

You called it...  ;)

TopShelf2010:
    However, I do recall from back when I was playing these types of format, it did take a bit longer when that 3rd or 4th player was added.

Match play is for 2 players....and real tuff to get an AS going without a 3rd o 4th.

:D

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 3:38 AM

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 3:48 AM

OneRightWay:

Can anyone explain why the 4th person in Alt play seems to be the hardest golfer to find? The first three players pop in rather quickly, then the fourth player takes exceptionally long to show up?

Just wondering...

He's hiding and waiting...

BE AFRAID

BE VERY AFRAID

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 7:47 AM

OneRightWay:

It's not a matter of judging other people's friends list. It is more of a matter of random selection, and why the fourth player in Alt gms seems to be the hardest to join. Not a big issue, but random players I find are very pleasant, and enjoyable, without the obligations of a 'list' or 'club'.

I agree, sometimes that 4th slot takes a while to fill. Unless I'm invited, the majority of my AS games are Legend+ random searches and when I get to one, if the host is going "anyone" to find a player I'll put any greens on my list out there for them to try. Even when I am invited, a lot of the times the host will ask for any "greens." It does help to have a list to choose from.

• OneRightWay
    15 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 7:44 PM

Thank you Jim and others, much appreciated.

RSS