Help › Forums

Re: Oakmont Sucks

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 29 2011 1:09 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:11 AM

If you want to really get to learn Oakmont start here.

WGTIcon, when he was Iconian, took the time to lay out a hole by hole strategy. You have to put up with his cockiness a little but he's right and he can walk the walk. It seriously helped me qualify there last year and the greens were impossibly faster than what you see now. ( In fact, I'm beginning to see WGT's strategy in making this year's Open easier-a lot more people tried and there still isn't a repeat winner in all of the Opens.)

Peep the guide, it will really help.

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 10:14 AM

Thanks Jim

I'll give that a look when I play this weekend. 

MAYbee I won't hear the course snorting a chuckling when I tee up from now on.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 10:53 AM

YankeeJim:
    If you want to really get to learn Oakmont start here.

Hey Jim,

I wonder how much that really applies now, especially from longer tees?

I mean take #1 for instance, the only way I've ever been able to use a wedge for an approach shot was 18-20mph tail wind off the tee.

Did Icon post this before new tee boxes were added?

I guess if he did, it'd still pertain to shorter tees though..not sure.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 11:17 AM

He doesn't say anything about using a wedge on #1 and as far as the guide goes, it's a lesson in course management, not what exact clubs to hit. Adjust accordingly.  

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 1:09 PM

YankeeJim:

He doesn't say anything about using a wedge on #1 and as far as the guide goes, it's a lesson in course management, not what exact clubs to hit. Adjust accordingly.  

Ahhh, you're right.

Dang, spent all that money on the Evelyn Woodhead spedd redding course, and it still hasn't payed off.

• PAGES
RSS