Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Noob question #1: Clubs

Sun, Apr 15 2018 1:30 PM (6 replies)
  • CJohnson333
    1 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2018 11:55 AM

First, a big thank you to all who post here, and who have already answered countless questions that I've had in the short week or two that I've been playing this game.  And thanks in advance to all who will answer this question...

I'm thinking that at some point (probably soon), I'll need to upgrade my clubs.  My question is this: should I save up and buy a full set (so that everything is consistent), or would I be better spending the credits on a great putter?  If anyone has any specific recommendations, that would be awesome too.  Since I don't really want to spend any "real" money here, I'm looking to get the most "bang for the buck", although I have been watching ads like crazy trying to build up credits (I'm up to 650 now, and climbing).

One more thing - are the high end balls actually worth it?  Is there anything else I should consider getting?

Thanks again,

Chris

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Mar 22 2018 9:21 AM

Chris,

Welcome to WGT. I sent you an invitation to our CC.

I'm surprised no one has yet answered, but I'm sure I won't be the last.

Based on experience, I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade clubs...and the putter is the last one I'd upgrade. That's because the starter putter is by far the best of the starter clubs. I routinely find Legends who are still using it.

On the other hand, the worst of the starter clubs are the wedges. Those would be the clubs I'd replace first, and those will be the clubs that will do you the most good when it comes to lowering your average.

High end balls are definitely worth it...but not until you have high end clubs. Until then, they're a waste of money.

Have fun!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Mar 22 2018 10:05 AM

based on your avatar, I would guess you have access and are playing on the mobile platform...since that appears to be the case what I would recommend...use the sponsor apparel and grind your way up in the lower stakes coin rooms...once you go to the 10k room and above you lose your forward tee advantage and are then off the same tees as better players with better equipment.

as you build your coins up you can then rent some of the coin rental club sets (I used the green set at first and then moved up to the navy blue set, which I covered the cost of by winning coin matches)...now these are not magic wands but they will play better than your starter set, and save you credits from upgrading your lower end clubs as you get promoted.  Also, when you add in some selective use of the sponsor apparel equipment boost you can get some really playable clubs from your forward tees.  After than I had reached a sufficient level to start upgrading my clubs in the pro shop.

in the meantime work on and refine your short game and putting, getting up and down to save par and increasing your 1 putt percentage will help immensely.  

once you start getting into the upper levels after you have saved up your credits then you could start to either piece a set of clubs together or buy a set and then modify them as needed.  such as getting rid of the hybrid and playing an extra wedge.

some people opt for driver as the first club, but really you can wait on driver with the sponsor apparel gear off the forward tees... good wedges can help your scoring better than the driver will.  I started out with the AVG wedges because I felt they were the best value for the credits I had to spend.  I am not saying they are the only wedges or best wedges, but they were the best value for me and less time sitting through videos for 3 wedges. I ended up with wedges that played in the range of 100, 75, 50 because that was also consistent with the higher end wedges if I eventually chose to upgrade for me.  Others play a 60, 80, 100 gap but that is more specific to the Clevelands, which are also great wedges but cost more.  

Plenty of time to think about and compare clubs to see why you would like.  For me...my first driver was the L55 M1, my 3wd was the L51 Cally, and my first iron set was L59 pings.  Or you could opt for the Ping set which is also a great value.  I just liked the other driver and 3 wd for me.  

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Mar 22 2018 11:29 AM

+1 to the wedges - I'd buy two short ones first, e.g. 50 + 77 yds.

Strong recommendation AGAINST a putter - there ain't no valuable piece at L30!

You might consider the R11 3WD available to you, as a budget driver replacement.

(your Starter driver isn't in your bag BTW)

But, before investing, decide what you want to do here:

- Play a bit for leisure, or

- make a career in tiers?

Mind you, each purchase will bring you closer to higher tiers and the necessity to buy even better clubs. But, it will also increase the fun of the game!

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Thu, Mar 22 2018 5:10 PM

Like alosso +1 to the wedge tip

I am a fan of building your bag backwards..by this i mean from "green to teebox" not "teebox to green".

Along your journey thru the tiers, test every  FREE 1 hour rental of clubs WGT offers you at a tier increase. When you find something that fits your game put it on the list.

But I would do clubs in this order (I did not at first and regreted it):

1. Wedges
    2. Irons
    3. 3 wd (loose that hybrid around lvl 50 for a 3rd wedge)
    4. and last driver (I recomend holding out for the TM R1 at lvl 48)

and lastly dont be in a rush to move tee boxes, take your time the tiers only get bigger steps in XP.

• phipster
    4,427 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2018 5:22 AM

Another +1 for the wedges....

The single biggest difference to my game was when I bought the level 50'ish MAX wedges which even manage to stop the WGT starter balls and are very, very consistent for distance. They are also incredibly consistent for flop shots around the green and turned countless bogeys into pars.

I bet my scoring would be just the same if I went back to them from the high level wedges that I use nowadays....

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Sun, Apr 15 2018 1:30 PM

+1 for the Lvl 48 TM R1 driver.  I used it for a long time and only upgraded once hitting Legend tier as I need more length.  You'll be very happy with it.

RSS