Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I'm not here to play competitively...

Wed, Mar 21 2018 5:17 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 9:48 AM

I find this to be one of the most humorous and ironic comments made by players who will make this statement then repeatedly play a particular course over and over again until they obtain the lowest score...

I don't think there is any shame in admitting you enjoy shooting low scores, but it seems a bit hypocritical to claim you don't play competitively and then do exactly that.  Seems odd to me...

I tend to think most of us enjoy learning and improving at the game and golf is built around a scoring system that whether we like it or not is competitive in nature especially when credits are sometimes up for grabs.  I guess I just find this odd behavior...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 9:57 AM

IMO, playing competitively means going up against other golfers. Pounding out rounds on one course for a low score sounds more like they're having fun in their own way. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 9:57 AM

When I read "I'm not here to play competitively," I simply interpret the person as saying they're not here to play tournaments or matches against other individuals.

In other words, I could see myself saying that I'm not here to play competitively. But that doesn't mean that I'm uninterested in lowering my score. Granted, a person could interpret that as competition with oneself or the game. 

Nevertheless, to enter into that discussion of definitions seems a bit too pedantic. At least, to me, it does, 

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 10:11 AM

One of the funniest comments I see often:

"I just play for fun"

Uh... Lets see here...competing is fun. Just banging around golf balls without trying is not "fun", it's just boring and a waste of time... Lol

I see this comment all the time in alt shots when an opposing team is getting a shellacking

You also get people that join alt shots who don't say a word the whole game and miss every fairway/green and say nothing.

Hello people, alt shot is a social game, stick to stroke if 1. You don't say anything and 2. You don't at least try.

So I stopped playing random alt shots mostly.

That felt good getting off chest...lol

/rant over :))

EDIT: Reply to Lesthnpar

Lesthanpar:

There is a big difference between not trying at all and just playing for fun while doing the best you can. 

We're talking about virtual golf, not real golf. There is a difference related to the reasons why one would play wgt versus real golf. Real golf you're outside enjoying the weather, potentially getting exercise and enjoying company while trying to beat the course. Here you're stuck in a chair and the main goal is to shoot lower than the guy next to you much more so than the real thing.

What I was getting at is that people say "I just play for fun" a lot and tend to say it when they're losing as if I'm not playing for fun. There is some grey area with that comment but most of the time it's meant as a pun to say that I care too much or similar to that affect. Just because I'm good doesn't mean I don't play for fun too. I've always been good at golf games since links ls '98 and  tiger woods '99 (age 13), I've just always picked it up very quickly with golf games.

Competing is fun and I don't take it as serious as people think, well maybe not because I take several breaks a year and have a very low level compared to other top  players.

I just do the best I can as you say it. The only difference is that I took a bit more time to learn the game initially and spent some time to map out irons.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 10:11 AM

I wouldn't argue with either of your positions, my observations is when this type of comment is made and this behavior is observed in tournaments against other people where credits can be won.  That by it's very nature is a competition is it not, especially if there is a prize?

Now I will admit, there are events or tournaments I do not play in competitively, they are more for building XP, but after posting a score, I walk away and stop playing them.  I don't keep playing them to shoot an even lower score even if I think I probably could.  To me, I would then be competing for a low score against myself or the others.

edit...here is a gray area for me...I don't feel I play CC AS matches where a group of us are getting together to visit and have a good time.  Now, I don't really care if I win or lose, but I am not going to try and play poorly either.  I still try to play well to be a good partner.  Sometimes, depending on the company we will joke around and talk smack but I feel it is in fun and I can enjoy it win or lose. 

Now, if I am playing in one of those matches and I start to feel the other team is getting serious I may concentrate on my putt a little more than I would otherwise so I am aware certain things or behaviors can bring out a competitive side in me, but I try to keep that in balance and perspective among friends.  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 11:18 AM

I was taught many years ago, that the game of golf, is has many facets. If you go out on an outing, playing scramble format, then it's all about just having fun, cuz it's a fund raiser usually.  League play is about commeradary, etc, you get the idea, anyways as far as being competitive, play to beat the course, one hole at a time,you beat the course and you most likely will tie or beat your opponent.  Beating the course, is alot more fulfilling, than beating an opponent. (Unless your playing for beers, then free beer always tastes better, lol) 

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 6:53 PM

AgentBrown123:

One of the funniest comments I see often:

"I just play for fun"

Uh... Lets see here...competing is fun. Just banging around golf balls without trying is not "fun", it's just boring and a waste of time... Lol

I see this comment all the time in alt shots when an opposing team is getting a shellacking

You also get people that join alt shots who don't say a word the whole game and miss every fairway/green and say nothing.

Hello people, alt shot is a social game, stick to stroke if 1. You don't say anything and 2. You don't at least try.

So I stopped playing random alt shots mostly.

That felt good getting off chest...lol

/rant over :))

There is a big difference between not trying at all and just playing for fun while doing the best you can. 

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 7:08 PM

@luckystar

We're talking about an online golf game here. There's only so many reasons why people are competitive. It's not complicated at all, mostly it's to not have to pay for golf balls.

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 7:35 PM

Some people like compete each others, and feels good if they reach some kind of reward (even in a virtual way as here)

Taking that in count, wgt has created a whole standart of competition & reward based mostly in how much the people spend in good equip & balls througth the shop, all the gameplay are manipulated to ''force'' the players to pay,.... but why & what the people pay?  > go to first phrase

The real competitivity not exist here, at least not from the game itself, if all the players was playing the same equip, then wi'll be a competitivity, so the people who really want compete need spend real money in virtual & inexistent rewards.

And I can assure you that there are people who do not really care ''the competition'', im one of them 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2018 9:22 PM

Competitiveness is defined in as many different ways, as the number of people you ask to define it. Everyone has their own idea of what a winner is, and a lot of times it isn't the one with the best score. Yes the best score gets the trophy, but someone who has never shot in the 50s, finally does, but isn't the top score still considers themselves a winner. 

Someone else, who shoots his normal score, which may not be the best score, but found a new friend or two, feels that they are the winners.  Its all in one's mind, how they think, and what they want to get from this game. Maybe it's something as simple as making a birdie, on a hole they struggle to make par on usually. They walk away feeling like a winner. 

We all have a certain amount of competitiveness in us, it's human nature, but the level is defined by ones inner self, ego, etc. 

• PAGES
RSS