Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:53 PM (23 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2018 4:42 AM

alosso:

sbjorn:
    First off,

Curious: What's second?

As an alleged avid teacher of English, you might want to take care of how to present an enumeration in a consistent manner(?)

Forget both the first off comment and what's the second.

The first should be,

sbjorn:

First off, your grammar is terrible and an ellipsis is three dots and they together are treated as a separate word. 

Learn how to quote.

So all know whom your post is intended for. As I used those dots(use just to fill space), I will respond.  If it was me, oh well.  Never professed to be an English major.  Nor do I really give a rats rump.  Please ignore if I was not the intended target.

Also as alosso pointed out.  Firstly implies that your meant to post more then one thing.

As you didn't, then your first off comment is incorrect.  Or do you need more time to come up with whatever else you meant to comment/complain about.  Then that would be secondly, thirdly, and so forth.

Many edits later.

Seeing that the OP's question was answered in the second post of this thread, the rest was a bit of fun  between us over the differences between American English and the Queens English.  That was up until the time you decided to step into this, with your so called grammar lesson. A lot of us have either interacted before or are known to each other, you not so much.

Again, if this was not directed at my post, please ignore some of what I have typed, but not all, as some needed to be typed.  Now you can go back to your game.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2018 11:19 AM

@Gary: You see me confused whom you address in your post.

Thus, only in reply to parts which may be pointed to me:

garyk49:
    Learn how to quote.

I'm quite content with my quoting skills after 20 years of online communication.

garyk49:
    if this was not directed at my post, [...]

My question wasn't, as I indicated by the quote.

My "revenge command" for you is: Have fun!

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2018 11:54 AM

alosso:

@Gary: You see me confused whom you address in your post.

Thus, only in reply to parts which may be pointed to me:

garyk49:
    Learn how to quote.

This was aimed at sb, we still do not know whom his first off comment was aimed at

I'm quite content with my quoting skills after 20 years of online communication.

garyk49:
    if this was not directed at my post, [...]

Nope again directed to the other quoted, not you.

My question wasn't, as I indicated by the quote.

My "revenge command" for you is: Have fun!

alosso:

sbjorn:
    First off,

Curious: What's second?

As an alleged avid teacher of English, you might want to take care of how to present an enumeration in a consistent manner(?)

Forget both the first off comment and what's the second.←←←←this was the only reason I quoted yours at all, was to make this comment.

this was meant as the second quote in original

The first should be,

sbjorn:

First off, your grammar is terrible and an ellipsis is three dots and they together are treated as a separate word. 

Learn how to quote.

That was not pointed towards you.  I only quoted yours as you brought up the first off comment made, which I pointed out later in my post. Only used yours as a reference. Sorry if you thought that was directed at you.  Rest assured I know you know how to quote.

Maybe it was my format/order/placement of comments that confused, but no, was not  aimed at you.  Again sorry if you took it that way.

I kept trying to leave that post alone, but alas could not.  So it kept being added to.  Maybe I should have just stuck to the game, but that intervention just irritated me.

Again, alosso, no disrespect intended in your direction.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:53 PM

No offence taken.

Alles ist gut - peace, man!

RSS