skip nav

Forums

Re: When will WGT transition away from Flash?

Wed, Aug 21 2019 2:51 PM by MoundOfSound. 35 replies.
  • nerve60 United States
    209 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 3:12 PM

The way I see it is after 2020 when support ends, it will affect "new" players more than us existing oldies. We have browsers with built in Flash technology or have been able to download it. After 2020, anyone (younger) who stumbles across WGT as a new player will most likely not have an option for Flash. Therefore, to continue to expand the playing base, an alternative platform that works with PC such as HTML5 is the logical solution.

Digg
    Delicious
  • YankeeJim United States
    24,598 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 4:47 PM

nerve60:
    The way I see it is after 2020 when support ends, it will affect "new" players more than us existing oldies

I agree. The new players are only going to know this on the mobile platform for the most part so what happens on the PC side isn't an issue for them. Fortunately, what Dan pointed out is going to preserve sites that use Flash but the user is going to have to know some stuff. No big deal.  :-)

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    2,350 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2019 1:06 AM

jeremygrogan:

YankeeJim:

Dude that quote was from over a year ago when this wasn't in the mix.

That's fine, the quote can be from whenever; but it doesn't change that flash is dead in 2020.  I hope WGT moves to another platform because I and tens of  thousands of people will drop before we would move to MS Edge or any other crappy web browser.

If you had even read any of the other half-dozen posts in the forum about this exact issue, you would not believe an article 2 years old.  

Adobe will stop upgrading/supporting Flash - it will still work where an OS and browser permit.  They will not all cave - too much to lose.

Digg
    Delicious
  • MoundOfSound United States
    7 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 5:53 AM

baldaufg:

WGT may not respond, but it would be their loss because less play equals less revenue, and if I'm asking, there are plenty more people who have just stopped playing because of the issue and have moved on to other options.  

This is the only game/site I have issues with Flash on, and am tired of issues with it.  I'm not going to download another browser just to play this game.  I'll find something else.  

Agreed!  Flash is dangerous for your PC, as evidenced by all the Flash updates (more than seventy updates in one month, April 2018).

I will quit playing WGT when Flash support ends.  I've been playing since 2011, am at Legend status, had a 735 day play streak (surgery stopped the streak), and regularly purchase balls that I've never touched.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    2,350 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 1:14 PM

Flash itself is not dangerous.  Like anything, it can be used to disguise malware.  There was a spate of fake Flash installers that did this in the past, and installed malware - but they were NOT from Adobe.  

One just has to check any and every download or link they get to see if it is legit and free of viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

Digg
    Delicious
  • MoundOfSound United States
    7 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 2:51 PM

DoctorLarry:

Flash itself is not dangerous.  Like anything, it can be used to disguise malware.  There was a spate of fake Flash installers that did this in the past, and installed malware - but they were NOT from Adobe.  

One just has to check any and every download or link they get to see if it is legit and free of viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

Adobe isn't doing updates for the fun of it.  They are mostly security patches.  Read "The Register" and put Flash in the search box.  Hundreds of articles on Flash security holes and the patches ("updates" is a euphemism) for them.  You'll be amazed at how dangerous Flash is.  You may even be angered that companies would endanger your PC like that.

Digg
    Delicious
RSS