Forums

Help › Forums

Re: CHAMBERS BAY REDUX CHAT LIVE 3/1 @1PM PST

Sat, May 7 2022 5:53 PM (542 replies)
  • opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2020 6:17 PM

Team Yancy .

Moving to # 8  . time fore the reload . 1to7 easy . over .   cant find 9 till 8 is .

I am not going to name names here of who knows what but that is the " intel " '

OPY 

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 11:33 PM

After over two years of exhaustive, efforts of brave, and inquisitive, souls, to locate the elusive items on holes 8 and 9, a new day has dawned.

My role is to observe, learn, document and follow those explorers who, armed with aged minds and new technology, albeit a dangerous mix, as they forge ahead with renewed vigor, and geritol, to once again pick up where so many others have failed before them (this may include some that failed before and are willing to fail again).

Rather than cut and paste long decipherables from old pages, I would suggest for all those who are returning to this quest again, or are here for the first time, READ PAGE 37, YANCY's post of Sunday 5/12/2019 PLAN B.

A few interesting points:

1.  All of the courses found on the signs have hosted or were scheduled to host the US Open.

2.  Yancy believed that there was a pattern and that the signs may form a reference as seen on a star chart, or constellation. He was certain there was a finish.  I do know that the two individuals standing behind the green on a certain par 3, on PB, are not holding cameras, as Yancy suggest, for I have documented them, it is a golfer and his caddie with their hands shading their eyes as they look upon the green...so, Yancy could be partially right and partially not so right, at times so, we must be careful moving forward so as not to jump to the finish before reaching the end.

I also believe that drmoose and OPY have the most experience in where not to look and such information would be helpful. It seems better to know where not to look and thanks to OPY that should shave at least a year of further searching. Assuming Mr. Hope still has the grid information.

One thing that keeps bothering me, keeping me up at night, pounding at the back of my brain...maybe the items on 8 and 9 are not signs but some other type of items.

Yancy quoted his inside source as saying there are items to be found, he did not say signs although the items are obviously signs but may not be "signs".  It would be nice if we had a sign, not a "sign" but a sign.

So, let the quest begin........again!

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 11:50 AM

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome in renewing the search on CB, is that there does not appear to be a "Play single hole " feature in the current game. In the flash version all you had to do was select the CB course, and go directly to #8 or #9 to have a look around. Without this feature, the time required to get to #8 & #9 is definitely put offish.

Doc :)

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 11:58 AM

drmoose:
    "Play single hole

I considered that and had three ideas:

1. I posted it as a suggestion in another forum thread; and

2.. I figure OPY can use his connections and have WGT set it up for us a practice hole so we can just keep replaying it..

You know I know...  OR

3.  We can play in pairs, or not, and make sure to keep shots on first 7 holes under 5 seconds. Score don't matter.  Obviously, Mio in charge of time keeping.

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 1:33 PM

For a single player couldn't you just get the yardage for the hole you want to play, then go for a 3 random hole play, check the scorecard on the first hole to see if the yardage for the hole you want is there, if it isn't, click restart, then repeat those steps until the yardage you want appears in the scorecard. At worst you'll have to play only two holes you don't want to.

The only things to watch out for are tees, make sure you go for the same ones when researching your hole yardage and going out on the random 3 hole play, and mulligans, use them extensively when searching to make the most of your 15 shot limit.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 2:17 PM

ScottHope:
    check the scorecard on the first hole to see if the yardage for the hole you want is there

That would definitely save time. 

If we know the boundaries of adjoining holes, which we can get from Scott's maps, then we can add those holes to ones we would play in random mode. We may be able to play up some fairways and into areas that overlap the 8th and 9th on the grids, that would save more time.

I was also pondering, although Yancy was convinced there was a pattern, well than, as one may say, riddle me this, if constellation it could be, mathematically it may.

I will go to Scott's links and check the distances from green the first 7 signs were located. I can then determine distance from tee. Armed with this intel, I can input the data into the cerebral problem-solving unit (CPU) or problematic cerebral unit (PCU), whichever is available with empty space, and see if there is a mathematical sequence that makes sense.

As any continuum traveler knows, the star charts are based on mathematical anomalies that occur all the time.

Also, it helps, here is a link to a video of a flyover the front 9 of Chambers. Maybe someone can spot something or, screen shots can be used to mark those areas that have been searched.

Chambers Bay front-nine flyovers - YouTube

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 2:26 PM

Just as an aside, the signs are oriented correctly towards the golf courses written on them.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 2:54 PM

I went ahead and put some data down on spreadsheet.  There appears to be a commonality, to some degree, with regard to the lie and surface. We might want to try to use Scott's topo's and try the brush with 40% and more crap factor.

Also, give or take a few yards, the distance from greens all seem to be divisible by 3 (just like the three little green men observed on the cart path - a coincenidental? 

I have not yet solved the sequence of the sign mileages but loading up the PCU with essentials, when buzz wears off, I will continue.

Hole Dist from Green Sign Sign Mileage Lie Surface
    1 192-193 Torrey Pines 1025 40-50% Sand
    2 132 Oak Hill 2187 40-50% Light Brush
    3 102 Beth Page 2448 40-50% Bunker/Ruff cusp
    4 163 Cherry Hills 1019 50-60% Light Brush
    5 Baltusrol 2403
    6 103 Pebble Beach 734 60-70% Light Brush
    7 76-77 Hazeltine 1396 60-70% Brush
  • MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 3:01 PM

So, I packed a lunch and my golf clubs and headed out to Chambers.  Took around 5 minutes to get to the 8th tee, taking in the sights of holes 1 thru 7 on the way.  Spotted a couple of birds before the 7th tee, but they flew away while i was traversing the 7th hole.

Anyway, on to the task in hand, the search for a sign on the 8th.  I remember a couple of years ago searching extensively on the hill behind the green, but unfortunately I came up empty handed.  This time I thought i'd begin looking nearer to the tee, more precisely, in the rough to the left of the tee/fairway.  Forgetting to use mulligans (not something I'm used to), I used up my 15 shots but was unable to find anything of note.

So, onto the 9th.  If indeed there is a sign on this hole, and WGT have put it in a place where we would be able to see it, I don't think it will be anywhere near the tee.  My reasoning here is that if you hit a few yards off the tee you are on the hill in front of the tee; there are only 2 camera shots on this hole - behind the player, and behind the green.  50 yards (as an example) in front of the tee only gives you the camera on the tee; you cannot see even your avatar, therefore there will be no sign in that vicinity.  Unfortunately I wasted a few shots in this area to come to this conclusion.  My guess is that if the sign exists it will be somewhere nearer the green, or maybe around the many bunkers to the front right of the green.  Unfortunately my 15 shots on this hole bore no fruit either, so I sat down and had my lunch before heading home.

I will try again later, but if anyone knows of areas where it definitely won't be, please let me know so that I don't waste time and shots.  What is this map/grid you are all on about?  Is it somewhere in this thread?

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 3:22 PM

MioKontic:
      What is this map/grid you are all on about?  Is it somewhere in this thread?

The map is shown on page 15 as well as #9 is repeated on page 33.

It seems as OPY was wandering around is cloud of shroom dust, he was being tracked by Scott, I assume via satellite. My hope is Scott kept track of OPY's adventuretales.

I saw you were "green" earlier, and presumed you had started the search. As I had a late night, and had to do a turbo charge of my CPU, with Diamonds, I was afraid to assist. 

I figured I would not be much use and having the possibility of releasing consumables in the sand or brush, and not really sure where OPY disposed of waste, assuming he did not follow of the rules of PACK IN and PACK out, I chose to err on the side of clean shoes..

I took today to review materials.

RSS