Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Another way to Putt

Sun, Dec 10 2023 2:44 AM (100 replies)
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Feb 28 2019 10:19 PM

adrob2:
    I find this putting method very effective for those tough breaking 3-7 footers. 

Definately works on some of the putts for sure.

• quco96
    5 Posts
    Tue, Apr 9 2019 10:00 PM

I would be interested in any spreadsheet that Goldeena that created, my putting is very inconsistent. Any tool will help

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2019 5:29 PM

quco96:

I would be interested in any spreadsheet that Goldeena that created, my putting is very inconsistent. Any tool will help

I know this is not what you asked, but one thing that can really help your putting is to land the ball closer to the hole.  To do that, I would drop the 3H (which you would rarely use) and add a 60deg wedge and then practice those approach shots.  Players average 40%+ of their shots on the green.  So putting is key, and getting you approach close really helps that.  The putter and wedges do the most to cut strokes, in my opinion and that of most others here.

GL with putting - it is hard to read some of the greens!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 11 2019 10:09 AM

quco96:

you appear to be a mobile player... while the game plays quite similar on both platforms tee to green, putting does appear to have small differences that may require subtle adjustments.  how you view the greens, read the greens and the break observed appears to vary if even slightly.  I would reach out and consult an top rated mobile player and seek their advice or tips.  but this is just my observation of a slight difference between both platforms.  

• quco96
    5 Posts
    Fri, Apr 12 2019 9:27 AM

Thank you I will reach out to the them. I was thinking that I can modify any spreadsheet to mobile

• budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:14 PM

I've kinda been messing around with this method of reading the dot speed. I have a question though. If the distance to the hole is say 20 feet w/ an elevation of 2" up. Then I calculate the break based on that distance / elevation. Then after making the aim adjustment, I now see 21 feet w/ an elevation of say 3" (or perhaps more). That will change the original aim point. What then? do I make another adjustment to the original aim point? or do I stick with the first calculation for aim?

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jul 10 2019 12:24 PM

Hi Budfan,

Do you want the ball to go in the hole or not?  ;)  Lol

You stick with the 1st calculation.

The only thing I might do after aiming and the elevation changes is..

1. hit the ball a bit harder for uphill 
    2. give a bit more break for downhill 
    3. could also mis-ding a bit into the break

Because the ball has to travel through that elevation change, but I wouldn't adjust very much unless the elevation changes were severe.

Another thing is be careful with what the game is saying for elevation -- sometimes it lies.  

For uphill putts note what the game initially shows for elevation.

Switch to reverse view and move the aimer from the centre of the cup to the back of the cup and about a cup's width beyond.  You might notice the elevation change.  If it does, those are the numbers you want to use to calculate your break.

This is because the game only reports whole numbers.  That putt might actually be 2.85" uphill and the only way to know that is to check, but the game won't report 3", it'll report 2.

HTH and good luck!

brad

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:02 PM

The best advice to improve putting: Be the ball.

• Tim14121989
    88 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 6:44 PM

Tried some of these calculations myself.

Down hill putts will calculate (way!) too much break in this formula. This all depends on the putt length and the amount of elevation. For example a 7.9 ft. putt down 2 with a 5 second dot speed (for half a grid, so that equals 10 seconds for a full grid), on 13 greens, would break 43% according to that formula. When I calculate it myself with my own method, I get 36% of break. So there's definitely something missing when it comes to the shorter putts that go down hill.

Flat and up hill putts seem to be fairly accurate. They're often about 3-4% away from what I'd hit. Not bad.

Down hill putts are an issue, there needs to be something extra to that, or a different quotation...

RSS