Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing a tier

Tue, Mar 13 2018 9:49 AM (4 replies)
  • DOtt3
    2 Posts
    Tue, Feb 13 2018 6:02 PM

I have been playing at the Legend level for a long time now.  I really dropped in scoring when I advanced.  Game actually seems to take what should be good shots and makes them miss.  I have gimme puts that miss. Very frustrated.  There is just not much reward for playing for years.  Do I have to spend more money to improve?

• Kikunuts01
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 3:27 PM

In my view, based on limited experience, is this game gets less forgiving as you advance. We all know how the tee is moved further back and the greens are faster the higher you go. It also seems to me that the AI changes the amount of "autocorrection" it provides through the tiers. This can make a formerly fun game rather unpleasant for those trying to advance through the ranks, and especially for those gaming the ranking system by only saving the "good" ranked scores. So the answer to your question is probably both yes and no. Better gear can make your game improve, but so can you.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:16 PM
    Kikunuts01:
    In my view, based on limited experience

:D
  • alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:24 PM

DOtt3:
    Do I have to spend more money to improve?
    Looking at your clubs, no.

At some point, better+more expensive balls might be necessary, but not yet IMHO.

But, apparently, you don't play that much (strokeplay), which might translate to practice missing(?). (Ouch, Andy)

And, answering your old blog post: Par3s, Par5s and CC custom courses do not count towards the average!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Mar 13 2018 9:49 AM

DOtt3:
    Game actually seems to take what should be good shots and makes them miss.

Sometimes this is subtle mistakes we make, and other times I believe this is in fact an example of VEM.  A common approach in our CC when we believe or suspect VEM is starting to mess with our game is to attempt to play a few ranked rounds with starter balls and sometimes it may seemingly "reset" your game.  Again, this is speculation but something we or I have tried when I feel illogical shots are happening that I can not attribute to something I am doing like a miss ding or miss judged distance.

DOtt3:
    Do I have to spend more money to improve?

Not necessarily...I am not an expert and don't regard myself as an elite player either.  But I have picked the game up fairly well in the past year.  I credit all of the helpful resources that are available within my CC and within these forums that help players with tips and strategy.  There are also a lot of youtube videos that give course walk throughs and tips.  I have learned a few things just watching others play and not necessarily giving suggestions.  

That said, a couple observations after looking at your profile...you are part of a top tier club (MM), I am surprised someone in your club hasn't been more helpful.

I have a different preference regarding club composition than what you have chosen but you advanced using those clubs so I hope you are familiar with them.  What stands out the most is your putting stats and proximity to the pin.  Now these stats can be convoluted over countless rounds and may not be reflective of your current scores, but you could record a few of your rounds and see how those stats from your next 10 rounds add up to your overall stats.  

If you are not giving yourself more birdie opportunities and making more putts then you won't see an improvement.  Spending more money won't automatically get you closer to the hole or help you make those putts.  

There are multiple putting methods being discussed in the forum.  Find one that works for you.  Even top players blend a couple different methods to find what works best for them. 

Learn your clubs, map your distances if necessary, just winging it and not putting in the time to learn these things will slow your improvement down.  It isn't a lost cause though, because you had to do something right to advance to Legend. 

Find a mentor in your club if necessary.  If you don't have members in your club willing to help then ask yourself whether a shift is needed.  

At least you recognize your game is or has hit a wall, you just need someone to help you find a door or window to get through it.  

RSS