Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:48 PM (74 replies)
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:23 PM

YankeeJim:

WigerToods2010:
    Nice to see the ":-)" BTW.  Much prefer that fella. 👍

Weird comment.

I meant that the 'smiling' Jim is my own personal preference as opposed to the greeting-faced Grammar Nazi version that's being doing the rounds as of late.

Och fuggedaboutit.

:-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:28 PM

WigerToods2010:
    I meant that the 'smiling' Jim is my own personal preference as opposed to the greeting-faced Grammar Nazi version that's being doing the rounds as of late.

WTF are you on about? This is the wrong place for your personal  judgments. Take them elsewhere where they belong and try keeping them to yourself.

Grammar Nazi? Show me.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:35 PM

@YJ

With your permission...

See! Yer even barking out orders now!

What's next, spotlights?

Lighten up, Jim.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:48 PM

fatdan:

Another thing people don't realize is that your router only works as fast as the slowest device in use, so if your using a powerful gaming computer to game, and your kid is in the other room using a much slower device like a smartphone on facebook, she/he wins!

This isn't entirely correct. You're specifying conditions for WIFI connections, not everyone uses WFI only, anyone playing games seriously is 'cabled'. 

With regard to the 'slow down', say your network has only 802.11ac devices on it, they will run at 802.11ac speeds as per protocol. If you introduce an 802.11n device or devices, that device will connect at 802.11n levels. It will not affect the 802.11ac devices running at 802.11ac speeds or vice versa. Devices connect based on their hardware and protocols. All an older device is doing is taking longer to transmit/receive data on it's specified protocol levels. Not going to affect an 'n' device at all. Also all routers are designed to ensure data-streams are not affected by various 'aged' devices being connected.

You'd need to saturate a network with many older, really almost EOL devices to notice anything 'speed-wise' on a modern network using newer routers. Also don't forget, speed isn't everything (where this game is concerned anyway) Having a 'clean' connection with 0% packet loss is far more important to giving you decent gameplay. 

Just so people aren't throwing older devices in the garbage trying to get a better meter.. LoL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 18 2018 2:47 PM

WigerToods2010:
    See! Yer even barking out orders now!

Only to you. Get the point. (Another order)

RSS