Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Does tiering up, by itself, affect club and ball performance?

Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:01 AM (9 replies)
  • LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 8:01 PM

Hello, fellow WGT addicts. I recently tiered up to Tour Master (TM). It feels like my clubs and balls don't perform so well since tiering up. Could that be true? It seems like I get a lot less distance and much more pronounced effects from spin and wind. Could I be just imagining it? 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 8:45 PM

Depends on the quality of your tin foil hat! ;)

But yes, "effects" make shot outcome more variable in higher tiers (include meter smoothness if you like), and there have been quite a few reports on severe distance variations lately (but with no reference to tiers).

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2018 2:02 AM

LouisPeter0:

Hello, fellow WGT addicts. I recently tiered up to Tour Master (TM). It feels like my clubs and balls don't perform so well since tiering up. Could that be true? It seem like I get a lot less distance and much more pronounced effects from spin and wind. Could I be just imagining it? 

The game plays differently as you progress through the tiers and you learn as you go to keep going. That having been said the game had been playing quite differently and strangely not just for me but many others in my country also. Tin foil hat aside there is no doubt the game has some quirks. As far as imagining it golf online and real time can make you crazy ;-). Have fun playing

• LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2018 7:32 PM

Thank you for your replies. 

So what I hear you saying is that tiering up, on its own, will affect the performance characteristics of your clubs and balls, and I assume apparel too. 

Let me give a specific example: My 7-iron used to reliably hit 160 yards off the fairway at full power and with a center dot (no backspin). With 100% backspin it used to go about 150 yards, depending on elevation and wind speed/direction. Since tiering up, with 100% backspin it goes about 135 yards. That seems a bit extreme and is going to take some getting used to.

These effects are not necessarily adverse. More spin or less distance isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just something to be aware of and adjust to.

Thank you again for your insight. 

Cheers, and see you on the links.

• EdwardTLogan
    504 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2018 9:38 PM

I just tiered up to Legend in the last couple if weeks and have noticed a slight change (for the worse). Putts that used to go down now lip out and aproaches to the green aren't as precise. Guess it wil. Just take a bit if getting used to.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:28 PM

You'll get there. Legend greens are quicker and the Parking lot tees add a new twist.

Congrat's on reaching Legend

• LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:54 PM

Congratulations on tiering up. I’ve heard it said that the game really begins at the Legend tier.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 4:38 PM

Congratulations. Putts that lip out tend to be putts that are going a little too fast when they reach the hole. Going from 11 to 12 green speed is probably a factor, as is the slightly more pronounced break on faster greens.

You also tend to get more wind as a Legend, which may have something to do with your approaches.

But in return, from the longer tees, you really get all new golf courses, Have fun.

• dacrash
    465 Posts
    Sun, Feb 11 2018 11:59 PM

If you are playing on the mobile and have custom apparel that has distance attributes, these may not transfer to the PC game.  I play both and my irons are longer on the mobile game because of the shirt I wear.  So when I play mobile my irons go 35% longer.  You can see the difference when you look at the distance of each iron.  

I have read in the forum that these attributes may transfer to the PC game, but do not show up like on the mobile version.  I am still checking this out.  For example, my 7i goes 165 on the PC and 171 on mobile.  Today on the PC I hit a tee shot and it went 176 yards.  I expect about 5 extra yards for iron off the tee, but that was excessive.  Was it a WTF, VEM shot, or did my mobile attributes transfer over?

I used medium equipment (Ping Raptures, no longer avaialble.) until I turned Legend.  Then I needed more distance to reach the start of fairways.  lol.  

I have played for quite some time and I dont beleive that tiering up changes the attributes of your clubs.  The attributes do not change.  If you bought equipment with certain attributes, these will not change.  Most lilkely the reason is that when you tier up, the game itself, not the equipmemt, gets harder.  So, shots that you made at lower tiers will need to be adjusted.

I usually find that what I consider a WTF shot or one that does not do as expected, is 99% my fault.  User error.  

Good hitting and keep playing.  It does take time.

dacrash

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Feb 12 2018 10:01 AM

ive made multiple posts on apparel crossing over to PC. 

It does it in clashes 100% of the time. but it won't show up on your displayed stats.

and it has sometimes occurred in alt shot format. 

RSS