Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:11 PM

Luckystar5:
    If your gonna tell me that Phil M. Got into a sand trap and said to himself, hmmm I'll bet I can hit this, over my head and backwards onto the green,, and execute it the way he did, without ever practicing it for hours, then you've lost all credibility in what you say. (Imo)

I didn't know I had any credibility to begin with! I'm already feeling better about the situation. 

Luckystar5:
     The pros are never gonna show you all the tools in their bag, until they need them.  I can go on and on with examples, like Bubbas  shot that turned right almost 90 degrees ,  etc   but not worth it.  They do practice trouble shots for hours on end. That's why they are winners. They know that they cannot hit every fairway, green, and putt, in every round without getting into trouble somewhere.  

You missed the point I was making, and I don't feel like going over it again or further. By the way, here's what Bubba said about that shot to win the Masters:

How often he practices the shot that he hit on hole number 10 to win the tournament:

"When I'm practicing and when I'm goofing around and at home, I love those shots. I don't practice them. I just play golf and I love to play golf so when I'm at home and those shots come up I just love the challenge of trying to execute them. As a kid growing up in Pensacola, Florida just outside the Tanglewood Golf and Country Club, it has some big trees, some old pine trees where we had to hit shots like that, it's probably the tightest golf course that I have played so I'm used to those shots and I'm used to hitting it in the rough. I don't hit the fairway that much."

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:39 PM

My point exactly, he said what?  Had to hit shots like that, so used to those shots, so in playing he was practicing , I don't hit the fairway much.  Thanks for proving my point.  I'm done, good luck to you!  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:48 PM

Luckystar5:
    If your gonna tell me that Phil M. Got into a sand trap and said to himself, hmmm I'll bet I can hit this, over my head and backwards onto the green,, and execute it the way he did, without ever practicing it for hours

No way in hell he spent hours on that shot, ffs. That's absurd. He just did what Bubba alluded to, stepped up to the challenge and executed it. Creative genius to say the least. I think it goes more to having the confidence and ability to not fear any situation. That backwards 5i was a good example of this.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:51 PM

Ok, whatever, believe what you may.  Matters not, just remember that is a video game, and someone is always gonna step up with a way to beat it. Don't cry about it, just try to enjoy it, for what it is. (Time waster) 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 1:57 PM

Luckystar5:
    My point exactly, he said what?  Had to hit shots like that, so used to those shots, so in playing he was practicing , I don't hit the fairway much.  Thanks for proving my point.  I'm done, good luck to you!  

I will say this: that creative reading class you took is really paying big dividends. ;-) 

By the way, Watson specifically said, "I don't practice them." Or did you miss that? :-) 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:02 PM

Didn't miss anything, but if your hitting alot, I believe that just might be considered practice.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:05 PM

Using pretzel logic, I think it could possibly fit and support your argument that he's spending hours practicing those shots. Otherwise, not so much. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:23 PM

Luckystar5:
    just remember that is a video game, and someone is always gonna step up with a way to beat it

Of course they will, that's what gamers do. The OP isn't a gamer so his pov is quite valid.

Luckystar5:
    Don't cry about it, just try to enjoy it, for what it is. (Time waster) 

There was no crying about anything this whole thread. Nobody said anything about losing. This just happens to be dialogue from the purist/gamer povs. The time wasting is hardly a consideration when it's 15 degrees out with a foot of snow on the ground. LOL

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:40 PM
    Hello everyone, Happy New Year.

I haven't been on in quite a while, and from reading this thread, it seems I should also wish everyone a Happy Groundhog Day!
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:42 PM

PaulTon:
    Hello everyone, Happy New Year. I haven't been on in quite a while, and from reading this thread, it seems I should also wish everyone a Happy Groundhog Day!

LMAO. Isn't it funny how it always comes full circle? You could almost copy and paste the posts.  :-D

RSS