Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Looking for some info on meter speeds.

Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:40 PM (2 replies)
  • Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:02 PM

I'm about to get to L90 and have been thinking about the Rsi2 iron set as an upgrade, but a little worried about the meter speed of 3 and whether I could handle it.

At the moment my irons have a meter speed of 4 and have been using balls which are rated 3.5. So I have been thinking that's a combined rating of 7.5. If I get the Rsi2s I could  use a ball with 4 rating getting a total of 7.

So, I thought, if  I use my present clubs (4) with a 3 rated ball that would also total 7 and I could test how that feels to me.

Is this the way the meter rating system works?  Is a 4 and 3 combo club and ball the same as a 4 and 3 combo ball and club.

Lol ..hope this makes sense, I tried a quick forum search but no definite answer.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:09 PM

I can tell you my experience with RSi2 irons.

As I think anyone well will tell you, they're a terrific set of irons. When you ding those irons, they'll stop a ball on a dime. But that was the problem for me. I couldn't handle the meter speed, unless I bought balls that were rated as 4.0 for meter.

I ended up going back to my Nike clubs, which were the same ones that you currently have (I believe). At that time, I didn't want to keep spending that much on balls. 

So, I think if you can handle the meter without having to purchase more expensive balls, then get them. But try them out first. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:40 PM

Jimac55:
    I'm about to get to L90 and have been thinking about the Rsi2 iron set as an upgrade, but a little worried about the meter speed of 3 and whether I could handle it.

Whatever you do is going to affect the rest of your bag. You have 4.0 irons and 3.5 everything else. Making that big of a change might give you a hard time for a while. I played the version they replaced with that same meter and remember how it was at first-you wind up pulling a lot. Definitely loved them. LOL

Something you might consider as an alternative-the 85 Callaways. They would give you a meter very close to what you already have AND they would prepare you for the 97 version, assuming that's what you would be ultimately after. The basic difference between the 2 sets besides the meter is more spin and a 225 yard 3i with the Taylors. IMO, you'd have more fun with the Callaways.  :-)

RSS