Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I'm really looking forward to this years US Open.

Wed, Jan 17 2018 9:19 AM (35 replies)
  • mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Tue, Jan 16 2018 11:53 PM

mkg335:
    As far as children on the site, the minimum age for playing wgt is 13

Hey, if they're old enough to date Alabama judges... ;-)

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 2:05 AM

Deleted

Here is an excerpt from something written by a sociologist at Rice University titled, "Muslims Aren't a Race, So I Can't Be Racist, Right?. Wrong."

"Because Muslims are not a race, people believe that any type of violence or oppression directed towards them cannot be racially motivated; that this form of hatred — known as Islamophobia — cannot be racism.

First, let me be clear. It is true that Muslims are not a race. The word “Muslim” itself connects to followers of Islam, a world religion — not a “race.” Muslims are a diverse religious grouping, and, in fact, one of the most heterogeneous populations in the world. In theory, the ummah - or global Muslim community - is made up of many “races.” Moreover, not all Muslims are simply born “Muslim,” like people are born White or Black. Muslim identity is something that one can acquire through conversion. In this sense, Muslim identity is nurtured and not natured.

Since I am focusing on the subject of identity and race, let me extend this discussion to other social groupings.

If Muslims are not a race, than which group is? Some people might immediately point to Black people, and say, “that is definitely a race. Look at their skin color.” But, to be exact, Black people are not a race either. Neither, for that matter, are White people.

Okay, now you might wonder about Jewish people? Certainly they are a race, right? Science proves they — like White and Blacks — are not a race either.

And what about Asians? Are they a race?

Nope. Asians are not a race.

The Indigenous People of America, a race?

Nope, not a race.

You see, there is no such thing as race or races, traditionally understood. Scientists long ago proved that race is not a biological reality but a myth, a socially constructed concept. Yet, despite the data, human beings have been programmed to associate specific things to certain “racial groups”; things like intelligence, work ethic, family values, and behavior. As such, we have been brainwashed to think that some groups are inherently better than others, and that the White race — to be frank — is better than all.

Race — as one of my favorite sociologists, the late (and great) Stuart Hall put it - is a “floating signifier,” meaning that it is a fluid concept which has specific connotations during certain moments in history. Races, in short, have never been exclusively biologically determined but rather politically constructed by powerful people, usually dominant groups in societies.

According to Hall, there is a new type of racism — “cultural racism,” which is my focus here. Racism is no longer about race (skin color) but culture. People are Othered and discriminated against not (simply) because of the color of their skin (or other phenotypes) but because of their beliefs and practices associated with some “imagined culture.”'"

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 3:35 AM

Ok, I read both articles and I see what you mean. I think there may be many other scientists, who would disagree and say that race is genetic and religion is a cultural thing, so they shouldn't be mixed. Not saying so called "blacks" are a race, but more a cluster of races with similar genetics. Same goes for caucasians and other groups. I believe the scientific community is not in agreement on this. I believe that all over the world different scientists (especially sociologists and psychologists) are under self imposed pressure to "discover" something new, so many of them tend to go against the popular belief and, sometimes, common sense, to establish a niche of their own. Sometimes they're right, other times not.

If what you linked is true, then the word racism shouldn't be used at all, in any shape or form. Cause, according to the text, races don't exist. But if they do, then the word shouldn't be used for hating anyone based neither on their religion, nor geographical loccation. Plenty of other hate describing words for that around, so no need to generalise all hatred by using only one word for it.

I firmly believe, that when a caucasian woman (like Deena) says she hates westerners (USA and UK), calling it racism is pushing it a bit too far ;-) She's only saying what a growing majority of the world is thinking since November 8th, 2016. Although their hatred is mostly reduced to a few people and very rarely to cca. 35% of the US ;-) 

As I said before, I fully agree with you on the fact that this kind of speech has no business neither here nor anywhere else. We'll have to disagree on the rest. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:22 AM

mkg335:
    Robert, it's as close as I could get to a word for "hating westerners."  In this case it's no so much where they live or originate as it is the imperialistic tendency involved.  I agree with you that hating anyone is ultimately pointless.  

Here's an entry from encyclopedia.com that may be germane: ...

With respect, I was not quibbling with your definition of anticolonialism. I teach an international relations course so I'm familiar with the concept as well as the issues surrounding nationalism and imperialism. I was simply making a larger point. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 7:56 AM

Robert, thanks for the clarification and for your explanation.  I gladly defer to your knowledge and expertise in this area.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 9:19 AM

mkg335:
    Robert, thanks for the clarification and for your explanation.  I gladly defer to your knowledge and expertise in this area.

Hey, on 90% of the stuff in this thread, I believe you and I are on the same page. And the remaining 10% is inconsequential. We're good. 

Regards,

Robert 

RSS