Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Top drivers

Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:43 PM (28 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 7:04 AM

JohanTV:
    Hi Lonny, I know you think all those drivers are pretty much the same and true I like to know what others think before buying. It’s just a bunch of credits and if all say there is no difference I will just sit and wait till WGT brings a 290+ driver.

For the most part they are . But at the same time they all have a few perks that arent shown in the specs . Then you have to also take into account how you play and what it is that you are trying to do . The type of ball that you are using is also going to make a very big difference into the benefits of the club .

Welcome to the club . We all are waiting for a 290 yard driver . Most of us have been waiting for years to no avail . So dont hold your breath on that one . With the clubs that you have most will say , that if you want more distance then get a better ball . A longer driver will only make the game easier to post ridiculous lower scores . The list goes on of the arguments against a longer driver . But its ok to hope for one but again dont hold your breath .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 8:31 AM
    Thanks guys, I am trying to play as good as I can and mostly play CC tournaments where I won’t play those easy rounds, just to get better. I sometimes play those WGT brackets, just to compete and compare to others. I am not in the game for the money. I play with cheap balls as I don’t wanna spend real money and live in an area not much credits can be gained by free videos and surveys. So I know I will not be able to compete at the highest level as dinging consistently is not possible (for me). Also my putting has to get much better. My game is however still improving and therefore trying to obtain best equipment. Except for balls my driver is (on papier) not the best and therefore thinking of buying the best one. Anyway, I will just reconsider (again 🤣)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2018 9:02 AM

#Johan  since you are currently playing a WGT zero meter ball and dinging seems to be a problem, an option versus upgrading your driver would be to try the WGT ball that also slows the meter down a little.  For example, I know a few champion caliber players that play this ball and seem to do rather well.  It has similar specs to what you are already playing with a notch more distance but it should slow the meter down … if that is what you need.

Another thing I have heard mobile platform players doing... depending on what you use... phone or tablet.  Sounds like an Ipad from your profile... you could also pick up a relatively inexpensive OTG cable which allows you to connect a mouse to your tablet and some people find doing so easier to ding the meter this way because their finger is not in the way of looking at the swing meter.  

While it is more expensive than what you play now, potentially upgrading to a slightly  more reasonably priced ball with slower meter may also help your ding %.  Yes, it is more but it is a lot less than a new top end driver, which if dinging the meter is still a problem it still won't make as much difference in your overall game.

At least this gives you a couple other options to consider in the meantime.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Nov 10 2018 2:14 AM

Hi el3n1,

Dinging is not a big problem but is just not always consistent. After playing some rounds I get used to the meter and dinging gets better and sometimes I play great rounds. But the meterspeed makes it sometimes difficult to ‘perfectly’ ding all the time.

I had never heard of an OTG cable. I now play from the couch in front of the tele, so just having fun. Don’t know If I consider playing more active;-), but thanks for the advice.

Buying better balls will improve my game, but is just not worth it. The ones you suggest are 2,5 the price of mine and are indeed better. As I can’t / won’t afford them in the long run and balls are recurring costs I decided a while ago that the Tour-SD are fine.

Also just decided to stick with my Callaway Fusion L100 driver and just wait till the next free rental weekend and then try it out longer. This gives me time to save for the next driver.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Nov 10 2018 10:54 PM

JohanTV:

Also just decided to stick with my Callaway Fusion L100 driver and just wait till the next free rental weekend and then try it out longer. This gives me time to save for the next driver.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Hi Johan, IMO if you already have the L100 driver (which you do), then don't *ever* consider upgrading that to the L103 etc -- unless you just have $$ and credits to burn.

The distance gained will be negligible to say the very least. 

There are many top players that use the L96 FYI...

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 4:45 AM

Because of the nature of golf, all golfers will have a crisis of doubt at some time. This crisis manifests itself as a question. "Do I fail to play well because of ME or my equipment?"  Any term such as "improve"  can be substituted  for "play well". It happens to all of us, whether in the real world or the virtual one.

This time of self-doubt is a key factor regarding equipment sales by golf companies. These companies understand golfers so each years they come out with "improved" equipment. But no company has come up with equipment that will override human control so there will always be errant shots or putts that will plague our minds, "Was it me or my club?"

Only way to know the answer is to buy new equipment. At least that's what we tell ourselves. That is, at least, until we own all of the top equipment or run out of money.

The better answer is to be Yoda like. Become one with the clubs you own and let your force flow through them. A confident golfer does better than a questioning golfer.

But if you must, buy new equipment! There must be a driver or iron set that will make me the perfect golfer.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 8:32 AM
    Save your credits! Unless you upgrade the balls you're playing, you will not notice any difference, or very little. With better balls, it is well worth the upgrade, I have the 103, and love it, and I'm consistanatly out driving other members of my club ( who play the rogue ) by an avg of 10 yards. Also I've never hit the ding, on my meter, as much as now.
  • Joshfrost
    61 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2018 8:59 AM

The level 99 Taylor is a beast and is the same as the 103. Buy it, you won’t be sorry

• jabonic
    854 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2018 2:43 PM

Joshfrost:

The level 99 Taylor is a beast and is the same as the 103. Buy it, you won’t be sorry

That club was a limited time only club, so it is no longer available in the pro shop.

RSS