Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Changing balls on the greens

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:15 AM (2 replies)
  • Syn7aX
    64 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 8:16 AM

I would like to be able to change the ball while on the greens.  I dont mind the meter speeds on the default balls, I would like to slow the meter down a tad while I am putting.  So in ther words just have an arrow next to the ball on the bottom right at the tee boxes and on the greens.  If you want real golf, that is a way to do it best, IMO.  Also that way a sleeve of balls would last for quite sometime if all you are doing with them is putting.

What do you guys think?

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:06 AM

Actually this would be a violation of the rules of golf.  You are required to play your entire round with the exact brand and type of ball that you started with.  You can only take a ball out of play during a hole if you can prove that it has been damaged, ie: cut, scuffed, etc. and generally then only on the putting green. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:15 AM

Top 10 Golf Rules Myths

Whatever brand and type of ball you use to begin your round, you must use that same brand and type of ball for the entire round.

We watch too much golf on TV and think we therefore understand the Rules. The only time this myth is a fact is when the ‘one ball rule’ is in effect. That is generally only a condition during PGA Tour and other events for highly skilled golfers. It is almost never in effect for regular play.

To answer the OP:

During the play of a hole, Rule 15-2 says that the player may only substitute a ball if he’s proceeding under a Rule which permits him to play, drop or place a ball. In general, then, you can’t substitute a ball on the green unless the ball is unfit for play.

Rule 5-3 says that you can substitute a ball for a ball that’s become unfit for play as defined in that rule. So if the ball is cracked, out of round or cut it may be taken out of play and a different ball substituted. (Scrapes alone however, such as from hitting a cart path, don’t make a ball unfit for play.) There’s a procedure in 5-3 that tells you how to go about informing your opponent or fellow competitor before you make the substitution.

There is no restriction on substituting a ball between play of holes, so putting a different ball in play on the next tee is perfectly fine. Check your local rules or conditions of the competition to make sure that the mis-named ‘one ball rule’ isn’t in effect, though. That might limit you to only using one brand and model ball during a given round. It’s rare to have that rule in effect for casual rounds.

RSS