rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:08 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • fekyu
    8 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 3:57 PM

77Rachel:

whooshdangit:

I'm a firm believer in the powers of tin foil.

(shown here wearing my tin foil trilby to limited effect)

Cheers!

Rich

Hmmm, it would appear I need a tin foil hat also.

I'm not terribly positive, since I am an admittedly horrible player, but it seems to me this putt might have been affected by some unknown otherworldly force. I didnt notice anything crazy in the green's dot flow on this one.

Tin foil, you say?  I'll give it a try next round!

fekyu:

is anyone else finding a great deal of inconsistencies from game to game? 

The return putt (for bogey grrrr) seemed remarkably unaffected by my ineptness. Maybe fekyu is onto something here...

One horrible players opinion.

Hugs,

Rach**

thanks for your reply

these hats do seem popular

thank you for not assuming i'm a horrible person (or hiding it well ;-)

sorry about your put, being something based on very complex code there will be anomolies. however, have you experienced a series of anomolies within particular games - as in 3 out of 4 shots. this was my actual question, as you've realised

before i go any further, i am a terrible player - i have certainly now learned to use that qualifier within this community. truth be known, i actually celebrate when (excellent) comes up on the screen... it's ok though, my wife is used to my random noises and air punching.

as it happens, i'm not going any further....

cheers

• TheSpark4
    42 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 1:18 AM

fekyu:

TheSpark4:

alanti:

fekyu:
    maybe a bias given to differently ranked players

May I suggest a tin foil hat when you play?

There probably is a reason for players achieving higher ranks, and that is they have actually learned how to play the game, whereas you are totally clueless, of which your stats bear testament to.

Unless you start to learn the game, all the shots, the winds, how to improve the short game etc etc., you will have to replace that tin foil hat on a regular basis.

You may well call me names....like yours, but you really need to take responsibility for your inadequacies at the game.

What a nasty, arrogant, patronising post. So someone comes on here looking for advice and/or affirment with difficulties they’re having with a game they enjoy and all you can do is pour scorn on them and belittle as much as possible? So much for ‘community’ eh?

By the way Princess, i’ve been playing this game for under five months, solely on a battered old ipad2. I bought my first ball around lvl 50. Yet my stats are all comparable with yours, some are better. Perhaps you aren’t quite as amazing as you think you are?

Sorry to post like this in a thread where a lad is just looking for some help. Keyboard warriors need bringing down a peg or two now and then.

thanks for your reply 

'battered old ipad2' - is that a reference to the jumpy slider thing? that's something the wgt people have confirmed is an issue they are working on (i use a 4yo [i think] 10" samsung) it can get alittle annoying, but all good. 

yes - i just found out i have stats. they look pretty pointless though ;-)

i haven't been called a lad in over 40 years! i thought it was cool until i saw your flag. bugger, just your language.... apologies if i'm being a 'keyboard warrior', but this is the only forum post i've ever made (apart from comments on dpreview). seems i got it very wrong

Quite the contrary Fekyu. My post was aimed squarely at your first respondant, not you.

I find it sad when a new player comes onto a forum with legitimate questions purely looking to improve their game and all 'better', more experienced players want to do is essentially bully/ridicule.

Good luck getting your answers, there ARE some decent souls on here who'll offer you more positive advice. Think I'll stay well away if this is the 'norm' however. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 4:42 AM

fekyu:
    thank you for your clues. i have so far noticed 'mapping clubs' is about averaging the variability than can occur with each hit - that's the question i was actually asking. i appear to have touched on sensitivities about challenging the game and have somehow claimed to be a good player - neither were my intention. i do enjoy the game, otherwise i wouldn't play it, and certainly wouldn't have spent too much money it....

fekyu:
    i have to admit though, i don't know what you mean by your first three lines

Full-length clubs statement I was too colloquial.  Look you now have a set that can compete of Legend tees (full length tees).  Currently, you are a Master, and that's a step up in distance from TP tee length.

Yes you will need mapping.  Yes it does take into account built-in inconsistencies, but those inconsistencies are needed to stop things being complete bulls eye darts.  They are good clubs but they do require more skill than lower ones as any spin adjustment, however small, is very meaningful as is how wind affects that including on a slight miss.  Stick to one ball and map it thoroughly 

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 5:00 AM

Jimbog1964:

fekyu:
    thank you for your clues. i have so far noticed 'mapping clubs' is about averaging the variability than can occur with each hit - that's the question i was actually asking. i appear to have touched on sensitivities about challenging the game and have somehow claimed to be a good player - neither were my intention. i do enjoy the game, otherwise i wouldn't play it, and certainly wouldn't have spent too much money it....

fekyu:
    i have to admit though, i don't know what you mean by your first three lines

Full-length clubs statement I was too colloquial.  Look you now have a set that can compete of Legend tees (full length tees).  Currently, you are a Master, and that's a step up in distance from TP tee length.

Yes you will need mapping.  Yes it does take into account built-in inconsistencies, but those inconsistencies are needed to stop things being complete bulls eye darts.  They are good clubs but they do require more skill than lower ones as any spin adjustment, however small, is very meaningful as is how wind affects that including on a slight miss.  Stick to one ball and map it thoroughly 

understood now - thanks again. yes the clubs are touchy, and they are definately better than i am. i've been mapping the clubs with my preferred ball and the unlimited ball today (rainy day), along with reading forums with your headings. they've given me my answer that there are anomolies throughout the game, and they can all happen within a few games, but they're accepted the same as they are in the real game. cheers

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 6:07 AM

fekyu:

sorry about your putt

Lol, don't be. I've had a lot of fun with that putt.

The putt just before that (for bird) also was errant, though it was much longer and likely would've missed anyway. That was why I began the recording - just to see if it would happen again - and it did. I have learned since then that the green on EH17 has a coding error that was responsible, since several putts by several players in that exact place have gone awry.

I play this game for fun, not for scores. Sometimes a good score is what makes it fun, but sometimes fun can come from other places too. In this case, the stroke that putt cost me (assuming I would've made the 6 footer - I actually planned to misding a hair early but dinged it, lol) wasn't all that big of a deal. I shot a 31 instead of a 30 on the back 9 of EH. No biggie. The fun that came from sharing that video was much more important than the score of that round.

No reason at all to be sorry, lol.

Happy golfing, and I hope you figure out that which seems to be puzzling you. (But more importantly, I hope you have fun doing it.)

whooshdangit:

I'm not sure if it's your style, but please accept this exclusive tin foil trilby from the House of WC WD tin foil completely free of charge, with my regards.

Cheers!

Rich

Oh my...how thoughtful!!!  I LOVE it!!!  And go figure, its a perfect fit!!!

I'll have to remember not to wear it at Cabo though, hehe.

Hugs,

Rach**

• JonJoney
    8 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 6:10 AM

Hey I think that hat really cool !  How can i get one?

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 12:12 PM
    fekyu:

is anyone else finding a great deal of inconsistencies from game to game? not the jumpy slider thing (something to do with android devices apparently), but things like clubs hitting 20% further than they're supposed after allowing for wind and heights (and losing balls etc) or having a tail wind and the ball falls short by a long way, or 10mph winds moving the ball more than 20 mph winds, or hitting the ball straight (ie, 'excellent') with little to no wind and it still goes crooked, etc etc, blah, blah, blah... 

and then other games nothing can go wrong - (to exagerate) you could hit it towards the next hole on the course and it will still go in, but you can see your opponent struggle with easy shots

is there a trick to understanding something that's deliberately put into the game to try to imitate real golf (ie, just simply bad days); maybe a bias given to differently ranked players; is the game sensitive to internet connections in this way. i can't work it out. 

Looks like my edit bar has gone AWOL, so may need to edit manually, but here goes.

In that initial post, you had 2 questions, neither asking for advice, Perhaps the latter of the two could be loosely construed as asking for advice, but the "tone" was still deflection until you said that you can't work it out. Even the title was typical of the tin foil hat brigade.

The game is not easy, it is not designed to be earned within days like some of the prior competition - that is what keeps some player playing and drives some away.,p> Your path follows mine.....I simply played for fun and set my own targets......and they were not pretty lol.I refused to learn, I would rock up, hit the ball and I was clueless what I was doing......I did not do anything to help myself improve....I too had zero friends and did not even know the forum existed. That lasted about a year.

My stats were far worse than yours.......and I only used starters kit as I thought people must have rocks in their heads to buy clubs when you never actually own them (I am a golfer, not a gamer, maybe their is a difference there, maybe not). I would try using shots like I would in real golf......whereas the short game in particular is very different....this game you need to earn what type of shot works and what doesn't......I was a really slow learner lol! But I would always card every score...a few 100 plus rounds lol. There are variances built in, but are minor compared to the issues you are having....once you learn how to play, they will pale into insignificance

Them I made masters tier and the game got incrementally harder, so after a month or so, I bit the bullet and upgraded, I also found the forum and asked for advice and learned. As a result, but stats have always been skewed, but I have enjoyed the journey, I have never been a slave to the game, I do not play daily and never took notes (which would have helped) and I play more by feel only doing rough calculations in my head.

But I did map my clubs (use the search box on how to do this) but be aware, these vary with each set/ball combo. You will soon learn the variance of distance is wide depending on the spin used (higher level balls even more so).

I learned the different type of shots - and discovered punch among others - less variance in strong winds and like another set of clubs in your bag. Then dialed in pitch, chip and flop (all useful on different courses or even holes).

The other thing I did was to play with other players, and higher tiers - be a sponge and they will give you tips and advice....and you will improve.

There is a ton of great advice in the forums, on how to improve your meter to mapping to how to putt and chip well. The rest is up to you.

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 2:41 PM

77Rachel:

fekyu:

sorry about your putt

Lol, don't be. I've had a lot of fun with that putt.

The putt just before that (for bird) also was errant, though it was much longer and likely would've missed anyway. That was why I began the recording - just to see if it would happen again - and it did. I have learned since then that the green on EH17 has a coding error that was responsible, since several putts by several players in that exact place have gone awry.

I play this game for fun, not for scores. Sometimes a good score is what makes it fun, but sometimes fun can come from other places too. In this case, the stroke that putt cost me (assuming I would've made the 6 footer - I actually planned to misding a hair early but dinged it, lol) wasn't all that big of a deal. I shot a 31 instead of a 30 on the back 9 of EH. No biggie. The fun that came from sharing that video was much more important than the score of that round.

No reason at all to be sorry, lol.

Happy golfing, and I hope you figure out that which seems to be puzzling you. (But more importantly, I hope you have fun doing it.)

whooshdangit:

I'm not sure if it's your style, but please accept this exclusive tin foil trilby from the House of WC WD tin foil completely free of charge, with my regards.

Cheers!

Rich

Oh my...how thoughtful!!!  I LOVE it!!!  And go figure, its a perfect fit!!!

I'll have to remember not to wear it at Cabo though, hehe.

Hugs,

Rach**

yes, i like the game as it's a challenge to get it right - 'only ever one go at this shot' etc. sometimes i'm surprised to see the result on the 'winner' page. have fun

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 2:52 PM

wow, thanks for your time alone. i have learned a lot here - i didn't know the website existed until they asked for feedback recently. must have ignored it when i found the game.

i tried the chat thing but up came a black page with stuff all over it, and i'm an old bloke - it was too confusing to work out and get my shot done in time. 

it seems the way i tried to explain my question has confused a few. i'm the common denominator, so my error. 

yes, punch has got me out of a lot fescu, and i find flop very accurate, especially when you don't know the green speed. i like the game because there's only one chance to get each shot right. 

thamks aga

alanti:
    fekyu:

is anyone else finding a great deal of inconsistencies from game to game? not the jumpy slider thing (something to do with android devices apparently), but things like clubs hitting 20% further than they're supposed after allowing for wind and heights (and losing balls etc) or having a tail wind and the ball falls short by a long way, or 10mph winds moving the ball more than 20 mph winds, or hitting the ball straight (ie, 'excellent') with little to no wind and it still goes crooked, etc etc, blah, blah, blah... 

and then other games nothing can go wrong - (to exagerate) you could hit it towards the next hole on the course and it will still go in, but you can see your opponent struggle with easy shots

is there a trick to understanding something that's deliberately put into the game to try to imitate real golf (ie, just simply bad days); maybe a bias given to differently ranked players; is the game sensitive to internet connections in this way. i can't work it out. 

Looks like my edit bar has gone AWOL, so may need to edit manually, but here goes.

In that initial post, you had 2 questions, neither asking for advice, Perhaps the latter of the two could be loosely construed as asking for advice, but the "tone" was still deflection until you said that you can't work it out. Even the title was typical of the tin foil hat brigade.

The game is not easy, it is not designed to be earned within days like some of the prior competition - that is what keeps some player playing and drives some away.,p> Your path follows mine.....I simply played for fun and set my own targets......and they were not pretty lol.I refused to learn, I would rock up, hit the ball and I was clueless what I was doing......I did not do anything to help myself improve....I too had zero friends and did not even know the forum existed. That lasted about a year.

My stats were far worse than yours.......and I only used starters kit as I thought people must have rocks in their heads to buy clubs when you never actually own them (I am a golfer, not a gamer, maybe their is a difference there, maybe not). I would try using shots like I would in real golf......whereas the short game in particular is very different....this game you need to earn what type of shot works and what doesn't......I was a really slow learner lol! But I would always card every score...a few 100 plus rounds lol. There are variances built in, but are minor compared to the issues you are having....once you learn how to play, they will pale into insignificance

Them I made masters tier and the game got incrementally harder, so after a month or so, I bit the bullet and upgraded, I also found the forum and asked for advice and learned. As a result, but stats have always been skewed, but I have enjoyed the journey, I have never been a slave to the game, I do not play daily and never took notes (which would have helped) and I play more by feel only doing rough calculations in my head.

But I did map my clubs (use the search box on how to do this) but be aware, these vary with each set/ball combo. You will soon learn the variance of distance is wide depending on the spin used (higher level balls even more so).

I learned the different type of shots - and discovered punch among others - less variance in strong winds and like another set of clubs in your bag. Then dialed in pitch, chip and flop (all useful on different courses or even holes).

The other thing I did was to play with other players, and higher tiers - be a sponge and they will give you tips and advice....and you will improve.

There is a ton of great advice in the forums, on how to improve your meter to mapping to how to putt and chip well. The rest is up to you.

in, cheers

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:08 PM

I did post on your wall (your profile page) regarding punch.

Here is a website that Gary took the time to put together - well worth a look or three.

http://shortgrass123.wixsite.com/pinhunters/mobile

• PAGES
RSS