Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 1:35 PM

lonniescott711:
    For a player looking for a true upgrade they will be fine playing these clubs .

For sure, they're what one should be angling for.

There is something that may qualify my experience with what I see. I play mostly AS and am of the mind that the VEM influence of the game doesn't come into play in AS games. VEM is stroke based and doesn't see anything you do in AS (so I'm just making a logical assumption.) What you do see is the true deviation in the clubs. Even then, it didn't vary between the sets. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 3:41 PM

While Lonnie and Jim share valid points, the thing both of you may be forgetting or not aware of...Lucky is a dedicated mobile player which means any clubs he test or uses may also be susceptible to any "mobile sponsor apparel boosting clothing" this can alter or deviate the performance from what desktop users may notice. 

Granted, a lot depends on the type of round he tested the clubs in.  It is why I pointed out, when I play mobile I can get away playing a lower quality ball (Srixon) because the club enhancements from the mobile sponsor apparel offset the shortcomings I would normally have.

As such, sometimes the key to good advice is knowing where the other person is coming from.  I have even gone back and suggested Lucky reconsider some things I have shared because I forgot to take something into consideration that may apply to him.  It isn't that my advice was bad but it was geared towards my experiences which differ slightly from his.   

I also believe this is key when people look at some of the tips and suggestions offered that are geared towards a players personal style.  It doesn't make it wrong or bad advice, but you just have to remember that their tips may not always work seamlessly on the first try or first attempt.  

The small differences between the L100 and L97 irons can be magnified by the sponsor apparel so what Jim or Lonnie notices will clearly be different than what Lucky is observing even if it is on a slightly different scale.  A 5 ft variance with a wedge can seem huge when you are trying to throw darts, but 5 ft variance with a 3 iron is not nearly as much and you would be happy with either shot.

It is also why I don't believe what works for me will work for everyone else, but if it can help others I often share if I haven't seen it before but it doesn't' mean others haven't shared similar advice somewhere else along the way either.   

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 5:11 PM

I took advantage of the free rental weekend, and lashed out on all the Cally’s.  Seeing I’d spent half my life watching ads lately, thought I might as well spend some credits!  I tested both sets of irons, and the difference was negligible (for me).  I found I played equally as poorly with both!  To keep meter speed uniform, I opted for the steelheads.  Now if only there was a 64 degree Mack Daddy wedge....

My conundrum now is which ball to use.  I think it’ll be either the 33, or 35 Cally.  The 33 is cheaper, with more spin, which I don’t think I really need(?).  The 35 has extra distance.  Although I don’t really need that right now, I don’t want to have to map a new ball as I progress tiers (if, lol).  My OCD (don’t laugh!..ok you can a bit) gives me a round number of four sleeves for 1000 credits for the 33s.  That seems to be their only advantage.....

I do play predominantly on mobile (for various reasons), although I would like to play more on PC.  The apparel benefits can be a bit of a pain to be honest.  They can supercharge you for head to heads etc, but aren’t available for tournament play.  I think having an option of turning off benefits would be a good idea.  If it’s there, and I haven’t seen it, please point it out. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 5:28 PM

ScottyAKing:

I took advantage of the free rental weekend, and lashed out on all the Cally’s.  Seeing I’d spent half my life watching ads lately, thought I might as well spend some credits!  I tested both sets of irons, and the difference was negligible (for me).  I found I played equally as poorly with both!  To keep meter speed uniform, I opted for the steelheads.  Now if only there was a 64 degree Mack Daddy wedge....

My conundrum now is which ball to use.  I think it’ll be either the 33, or 35 Cally.  The 33 is cheaper, with more spin, which I don’t think I really need(?).  The 35 has extra distance.  Although I don’t really need that right now, I don’t want to have to map a new ball as I progress tiers (if, lol).  My OCD (don’t laugh!..ok you can a bit) gives me a round number of four sleeves for 1000 credits for the 33s.  That seems to be their only advantage.....

I do play predominantly on mobile (for various reasons), although I would like to play more on PC.  The apparel benefits can be a bit of a pain to be honest.  They can supercharge you for head to heads etc, but aren’t available for tournament play.  I think having an option of turning off benefits would be a good idea.  If it’s there, and I haven’t seen it, please point it out. 

To turn off the apparel, all you should have to do, is go into edit apparel , choose all the basic items, press save.  Then you should be back to where you have no benefits. 

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 5:34 PM

Dammit Luckystar, I meant to put in my post that I know I could do that, but forgot.  I’d just like the option of always using the different apparel with no benefits.  I know it’s no big deal, just putting it out there. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 5:45 PM

ScottyAKing:

Dammit Luckystar, I meant to put in my post that I know I could do that, but forgot.  I’d just like the option of always using the different apparel with no benefits.  I know it’s no big deal, just putting it out there. 

Lol, sorry, I'm very new to the apparel program,  and still learning.  But as far as what I've been told, no you can't use the clothing without the benefits. :)  I've always been disappointed in mobile version, not having better choices for avatar appearances. 

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 5:59 PM

Luckystar5:

Lol, sorry, I'm very new to the apparel program,  and still learning.  But as far as what I've been told, no you can't use the clothing without the benefits. :)  I've always been disappointed in mobile version, not having better choices for avatar appearances. 

Hehe, no worries.  I’m actually relatively new to apparel as well.  For a long time I was just playing my minimum daily to get XP (day 898 today) and only recently started playing a bit again.  Mobile is kinda my only option atm unfortunately. 

Apologies all, I’ve sent this thread off track.  Stopping now. 

Actually, upon reflection, I blame Lucky! ;-)

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 6:30 PM

ScottyAKing:

Luckystar5:

Hehe, no worries.  I’m actually relatively new to apparel as well.  For a long time I was just playing my minimum daily to get XP (day 898 today) and only recently started playing a bit again.  Mobile is kinda my only option atm unfortunately. 

Apologies all, I’ve sent this thread off track.  Stopping now. 

Actually, upon reflection, I blame Lucky! ;-)

It's ok, I got big shoulders,  lol

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 7:18 AM

ScottyAKing:
    To keep meter speed uniform, I opted for the steelheads.  Now if only there was a 64 degree Mack Daddy wedge....

I have tried to do the same and agree, wish they had a 64 MD wedge, I had to go with the Max wedge to keep my meter speeds consistent.  It wasn't ideal and it plays different so I had to make some adjustments with it but it is playable... it reminds me a little of the late 30 early 40 level ATV wedges with the lower spin rating despite being a "top level" wedge.

ScottyAKing:
    My conundrum now is which ball to use.

For the most part, I didn't use anything above the L11 Srixon until I reached the Legend tees, so if you want to play the L33 or L35 Cally they will both play off the back tees as well.  The only nuance as you point out is the more spin, if you are using them on mobile (which you play mostly) then you will have to watch what apparel you wear because adding mobile apparel with increased spin will really juice your balls even more...Now it depends slightly on the various ball factors but typically whenever you introduce more spin and apply the BS to the ball you are going to start altering your carry distances.  Sometimes you can find a sweet spot where they play roughly the same but you have to adapt to that.  

For me, my challenge with mobile is timing the meter because I play on a smaller tablet.  I also don't like the subtle differences in the way the green react so I only play on tablet for the occasional coin game or to try and help out in a TW, but I rarely play a competitive round in which I am hoping to score well in a tournament on mobile.  I just don't feel I can play as well as I can on the desktop.  But there are subtle differences and adjustments to playing on the two platforms (putting in particular).  The players I know that do quite well on the mobile platform all play larger tablet screens which increases the swing meter for them possibly allowing for better timing of the meter and possibly easier to read the greens.  I can't say for certain...but it I does appear to make a difference.

ScottyAKing:
    I do play predominantly on mobile (for various reasons), although I would like to play more on PC.  The apparel benefits can be a bit of a pain to be honest.  

All valid points.  It is hard to keep playing coin games without using the apparel though because probably 95% of the people out there are using it and it can creates a fairly big disparity to your approach shot if you are hitting 8 iron and they are hitting a wedge into the green.  You basically have to keep two sets of numbers or be familiar with how your clubs play with mobile and how they play without the apparel in the WGT tournaments if you are wanting to participate in credit events, but even in the mobile only tournament for WGT you don't get to use the apparel upgrades.  

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 12:24 PM

Ok, this thread started with the Callaways L97 and L100 when they were Steelhead an Apex.

Now the Rogues and Rogue Pro are their replacements and available for some time and people can share opinions.

Are the Rogues really better?

Is the L100 Rogue Pro with slower meter (4.0) now comparable with the meterspeed of the steelheads (4.2) ?  Otherwise, should I replace my Steelheads with Rogue pro...

thanks

Johan

RSS