Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 3:32 PM

Thanks for your replies.

The Tour SD seems to perform pretty well. I have to get used to them a little more but these could be the ones I will play with for anlong time.

I also read about the group that give gifts to others, but I dont want to be dependant on others and get used to balls I can’t afford later. I like to stick to one ball for all my games and try to play as best with that one (knowing I wont be a top player, which I know I aint, 😁). Also I don’t want to watch videos as much any more as I did saving for my current equipment.

Anyway, at this moment the Tour SD seems to be best for the price, so anybody who is willing to gift me some sleeves, orange is my favourite color 😂

Johan

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Mar 13 2018 10:26 AM

JohanTV:

Thanks for your replies.

The Tour SD seems to perform pretty well. I have to get used to them a little more but these could be the ones I will play with for anlong time.

I also read about the group that give gifts to others, but I dont want to be dependant on others and get used to balls I can’t afford later. I like to stick to one ball for all my games and try to play as best with that one (knowing I wont be a top player, which I know I aint, 😁). Also I don’t want to watch videos as much any more as I did saving for my current equipment.

Anyway, at this moment the Tour SD seems to be best for the price, so anybody who is willing to gift me some sleeves, orange is my favourite color 😂

Johan

4 sleeves have been sent . I hope you enjoy them . Like I said in an earlier post they are great for the price and they play well too. With the clubs you have posting good scores should be no problem . Play well and good luck . :-)

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Mar 13 2018 10:35 AM

lonniescott711:

4 sleeves have been sent . I hope you enjoy them . Like I said in an earlier post they are great for the price and they play well too. With the clubs you have posting good scores should be no problem . Play well and good luck . :-)

Wow, I was just kidding around. Thanks for the gift. It is very much appreciated.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Mar 13 2018 3:38 PM

JohanTV:

lonniescott711:

Wow, I was just kidding around. Thanks for the gift. It is very much appreciated.

You are very welcome Im just paying it forward . Be careful what you ask for you just may get it . :-)

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2018 9:31 AM

Very considerate Lonnie! 

This shows in part why you were honored as well by the GoG group.

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:51 PM

Apologies if this has been covered, but do the l97 Steelheads play any different to the equivalent Nikes that they replaced (apart from slight meter speed)?  If we get the usual Masters free rental weekend, I'd like to change over from Nike to Callaway clubs (my OCD won't allow me to mix and match....)

Thanks

Scott

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Mar 23 2018 8:20 PM

Unless you've just got credits to burn I'd stick with what you've got.  You'd hardly notice a difference between the 2 sets.  Others will have opinions no doubt.

Some say pair clubs with ball (Nike/Nike or Cally/Cally) but honestly I don't know how much truth there is to that.

• milwsteve
    89 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2018 7:22 PM

I have tried both the level 97 set of steel head xr irons with a 4.2 meter speed and the level 100 apex irons with a 3.7 meter speed and the only difference is a little more foregivness and precision on the apex irons vs the steel head xr irons very sets both of them but being level 106 getting close to level 107 I eventually will probably be getting the apex irons when I get the money and convert to all Callaway clubs even the fusion driver level 100 and the level 99+ fusion 3 wood.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 1:59 AM

I rented the level 97 Steelhead irons this past weekend just to see what they hate like. Good irons to a point. I got 2 or 3 huge deviations that I never get with the Apex irons. I am talking about getting only 200 yards with the 210 yard 4 Iron with a 9 mph tail wind. And getting only 185 yards with the 195 yard 5 Iron with similar conditions. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2018 2:08 PM

I also rented the L100 irons and similar "deviations" could also be said about them, I think it largely depends on the type of ball that is used and how you play that ball with respect to your approach for landing and releasing to the pin or trying to stop your shots dead or maybe even spin back a bit. 

This is probably why it appears some of the top players playing irons of similar specs, seemingly club "up" when using full BS because they lose distance when doing so and it is necessary to play an extra club in order to get the desired distance to the pin.  Just because a club is rated for 210 doesn't mean it is going to play 210y with full BS.  This may not be how you were playing it, but it can account for the differences at times.

I didn't feel the L100 irons played qualitatively better than the L97 irons or at least from what I could tell.  They are slightly  more forgiving but with the slightly quicker meter you may be dinging fewer shots.  As a result, for me anyway the two played similarly to one another.  

I opted to keep my meters speeds the same and stick with the L97 irons.  

RSS