Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need advice on irons lv72 golfer

Wed, Mar 7 2018 6:03 PM (5 replies)
  • BirdieRob0
    121 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 2:06 AM

Hi Gang!!!!

I'm trying to decide between the following iron sets....

Callaway Apex Iron Set (L64+)

Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L52+)

TaylorMade SpeedBlade Iron Set (Steel) (L54+)

TaylorMade M2 Iron Set (Steel) (L68+)

I'm mainly looking at Precision and Forgiveness as deciding factors.

I rarely "ding" my clubs, so forgiveness is something I am looking for, but is that important with higher level clubs?

I've read MANY people suggesting the  PING G25 Iron Set (Steel) (L59+), but with a Forgiveness of only 2, I'm afraid they won't suffice.

Ultimately I like the Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L85+), but I am a long way from that level.

Any comments, opinions or suggestions to help my decision would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 9:00 AM

You will need clubs with high trajectory as well . You will be moving back another tee shortly and clubs with high trajectory will be a must . High trajectory is what gives the ball added loft causing the ball to land softer with better spin and stopping power . So include that when selecting clubs irons especially .

So what you look for as stated high trajectory forgiveness and precision . Since you are a misding player the more forgiveness the better . This will allow you to miss the ding on a wider margin without your shots losing power or becoming errant .

The Ping G25s are excellent clubs I had both levels back when they were the G20s . They were great and if you can wait until L83 then do so .As they will take you all the way to Legend and beyond . After you reach Tour Master the next stop is Legend and that`s the last tee move you will make . Thus the L83 G25s could be the last clubs you will ever buy if that`s what you want .

So the best way to upgrade your clubs is by the following :

High Trajectory - The more loft the better

Distance- You want a good 3i to allow for par 3s and a good backup club to alternate over the 3 wood .

Forgivness- Very important if you are a miss ding player . The more the better .

Precision- As much as possible but its safe to take more forgiveness over this .

Spin- Is important for stopping the ball . Also you have to remember this will affect the ball you are using . If the club has a high spin rating you can pick a ball with alower spin rating . Too much spin can hurt just as much as not enough so try to balance it out for better ball control .

Meter Speed - Whatever works best for you . Some like a fast meter and others like it slow . But again its what`s best for you . 

Always try to match your club speed as close as possible . This will help you to develope a more consistant meter speed and a smoother meter also . 

• BirdieRob0
    121 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 6:49 PM

Thanks for the excellent advice, I don't mind waiting until lv83 or lv85.

If I compare the Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L85+) with the Ping G25 lv83, I see the Callaway have a 4.5 precision compared to the 4.0 on the Pings.

What do you think about these 2 sets?

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2017 11:45 AM

BirdieRob0:

Thanks for the excellent advice, I don't mind waiting until lv83 or lv85.

If I compare the Callaway Steelhead XR Iron Set (L85+) with the Ping G25 lv83, I see the Callaway have a 4.5 precision compared to the 4.0 on the Pings.

What do you think about these 2 sets?

L85+ Callaways are better .Better yardage precision spin and a way slower meter . So if you are willing to wait for them then do so. Save your credits and work on earning more and building up your stash . Good luck and play well .

• FlyingJDiscGolf
    8 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2018 6:03 PM

I currently have the Level 68 M2 Irons and they are just okay.  I don't recommend them.

The 3 iron is horrendously difficult to ding and extremely unforgiving, I do not use it.  The 4 iron isn't as bad but still not ideal.  From 5 iron on down they are easier to ding, but are still very unforgiving; the accuracy of the shot is becomes exponentially worse the further you get from the ding, even in the dark blue zone of the meter.

RSS