Floridiot ... I drive southeast Florida roads daily with these folks

• Bowl64
    3,085 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2017 9:06 AM

How about those creeps who left their pets behind! :(((

• gatorman66
    307 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 6:06 AM

I live in central Florid and it's day 7 with no power or water.....we got hammered

• Bowl64
    3,085 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 10:35 AM

Can`t imagine what you`re going through, hang in there and i really hope you get the help needed.

Bjorn

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2017 7:55 AM

Wowsers.

As a Miami resident, I can say that Irma SUCKED.  This was my first big storm, and like a lot of less experienced people, I figured it was just a storm.  Category whatever, lol.

Big mistake.  I misjudged it badly.  This was a major event.  I live in an area that was issued a mandatory evacuation in Coconut Grove, but the storm was weakening, and we only were getting hit by the outer bands.  Riding it out shouldnt be a problem, right??   Pfffft. Oops.

Wandering out after the storm, I noticed a particularly large palm tree on top of my truck.  Gonna need a new truck, as it was totaled.  Then I noticed a 50 foot sailboat in my backyard. I have no boat and I live over a quarter mile from the nearest marina.

Its just the outer bands, right?   Ugh.   Little did I know, the outer bands on the dirty side bring tornadoes. 

9 days without power in the summer in Miami SUCKS.  After the first couple, at least some stores reopened, leaving us the ability to cool off a bit in their A/C.

My family is all safe, and our stuff can be fixed or replaced.  The owner of the boat says he will rent a crane whenever he can find one available to get it out of my backyard.  All will be okay in time.

I truly feel for those that got hit worse, and for those in Maria's path.

As for me, next time I will evacuate.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2017 8:16 PM

Rachel,

I'm glad you and your family are OK.  It could have been much worse.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Sep 20 2017 8:57 PM

I cannot say I have been in a hurricane, but have witnessed many Typhoons from my time in Hong Kong, Including Typhoon York which did have hurricane strength winds.

This caused major damage and over 500 injuries, but only two deaths, one by some moronic person who thought it was a good idea to go windsurfing!

But typhoons do not have the same intensity of hurricanes and my advice is ALWAYS listen to the authorities - if they say evacuate, then evacuate.

Sure at times the authorities are overly cautious, for the simple reason one life lost which is preventable is one too many.

Some friends of mine in Aus were told to evacuate due to bush fires......they ignored the warning, hey their house had sprinkler systems outside.....new house, they had taken all the precautions........well they did live, sheltered in the bath with all 4 wall burning around them......six months in hospital with burns......

77Rachel:
    As for me, next time I will evacuate.

Prudent....the she'll be right attitude can be deadly. I am pleased you were not a statistic Rachel.

To put it into context, some people make smart decisions, some don't. Below is one who didn't.........and I remember this oh too well.

China Airlines Flight 642 china airlines flight 642 get domain pictures getdomainvidscom

• craigswan
    30,962 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2017 12:15 AM

Rachel - you should have kept quiet about that boat .

You could have started your own cruise line .

Nice place coconut grove .

• Alexiss8
    22 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2017 6:27 PM

We have survived!  Thank you so much for prayers and well wishes.  Lost utilities Sat. Night. Power back Thursday week ago,baca le, wifi spotty. Tonight.  Folks, transistor radio will save your sanity :).

many large oaks, pals obliterated and laying on power lines.  Now streets, every one, has piles of branches and carved up trees lining both sides.  The whole central area smells like a swamp.  No joking.  

I pray for the islands as they were decimated.

again thank you for my golf family and all the nice wishes, we appreciated it very much.

Alexiss8

South Central Florida!

RSS