Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putter advice

Fri, Sep 8 2017 8:20 AM (8 replies)
  • dstarrsfan
    16 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 10:29 AM

I feel like I'm decent in most aspects of this game except putting. I've played quite a few rounds but still have so many putts that just burn the edge. What would help the most a putter with more precision or more forgiveness?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 10:35 AM

No as regards your conclusion IMO.....................

Your ADP is so shocking it renders any chance of 1 putts remote.

IMO probably want a shorter wedge and then look at threads as to how to play that.  No point saying more until I know if that rings a bell.

• dstarrsfan
    16 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 10:43 AM

Jimbog1964:

IMO probably want a shorter wedge and then look at threads as to how to play that.  No point saying more until I know if that rings a bell.

I'm not a pro like you and have no idea what you mean. Your reply seems a little harsh though.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 11:12 AM

Basically what Jim's saying, and as one of the better putters in the game he certainly knows his ***, your average distance to the pin is 22ft... You need to work on that stat, get better with decent wedge work around the green and approaches. 

Having to putt from 22' out all the time is pretty brutal, better putter isn't what you want to look at at this stage. Putting from 10' is far better. '-)

Jim has a colorful way of replying, best interest though... and never really off. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 11:22 AM

dstarrsfan:

Jimbog1964:

I'm not a pro like you and have no idea what you mean. Your reply seems a little harsh though.

I sent you a friend request mate..........DB reminded me I can be too colourful:).........You want to work at it hit me up for a chat:)...Cheers

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 12:19 PM

dstarrsfan:
    What would help [...]?

Apart from the good advice you got, I see that there is one club missing in your bag. Perhaps a quality wedge to fill the gap between SW and PW might help?

Also, playing the Starter ball may affect the quality of your play, due to the high meter speed...

=> Try a cheep custom ball, B-ES or similar.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 12:33 PM

dstarrsfan:
    What would help the most a putter with more precision or more forgiveness?

Balance and precision. You can master the swing (forgiveness) but if the putt is wandering all over the place the forgiveness is useless. Balance keeps the ball on line and precision gets it in the hole. You would notice it right away with your longer putts. :-)

p.s., Burning edges is also a function of the wrong speed, not just aim. Too fast and the side of the cup closes. 

• dstarrsfan
    16 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2017 8:12 AM

Jimbog1964:

dstarrsfan:

Jimbog1964:

I sent you a friend request mate..........DB reminded me I can be too colourful:).........You want to work at it hit me up for a chat:)...Cheers

No worries. Thanks Jim

• dstarrsfan
    16 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2017 8:20 AM

Thanks guys for the advice. I understand I need to practice my short game. I added a 64 degree, and I'm going to get better clubs all the way around when I can afford it. thanks, charley

RSS