Forums

Help › Forums

Re: don't like quitters

Fri, Oct 30 2009 6:32 PM (23 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:45 PM

Boilerplate Nonsense Challenge.  I really have no clue what that is, how it works or why exactly you fellas need a virtual contract to agree to be civil with each other.  I tried to understand it one day, but my head exploded instead.  I have no wish to know either, so please, spare the details.

All I do know is that there is a large chunk of posts that I wade through on a daily basis to try and help new and inexperienced players find answers to their questions.  I used to answer 10 to 15 posts a day every day a little while back.  I didn't get to 1500+ posts by posting "+1" and "me too" you know.  However, doing that task nowadays has become a significant pain in the rear because almost every forum is littered with threads on quitting.  "But you don't have to read them", they say.  Yes I do, because newbies post off topic in the wrong place all the time.  I mean c'mon, they're noobs, they don't know any better.  I read (or least skim) just about everything posted in this forum and it's easy to miss something if someone's post is book-ended by two quote-fests.  Also, I'm human and I like to discuss things, so I end up using my time to post this kind of stuff instead of doing what I should be doing which is helping out the community.

• Woodsimnot
    7 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 4:41 PM

I was a new player when I wrote this about quitters, and I have come to learn why they, and I do now, if its not hurting any one's game then who cares.

And ( Snaike ) I came here to play golf not learn how to spell, it seems to me you understood what I was saying or you would not have commented on my spelling!

Worry about correcting your own spelling ( Snaike ) we are not all as smart and all knowing as you!

• naughty1
    104 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 4:57 PM

I can tell you right now, every top level Master quits rounds .

Myself?  Yes

Nivlac?  Yes

Iconian?  Yes

Thunderbird?  Yes

Gitthe?  Yes

Salamii?  Yes

Claremoreblue?  Yes

Captaincouples?  Yes

Jarid?  Yes

Ncviz(when she was here)?  Yes

The list goes on and on really.  In fact, there isn't a Master I have played with (other than perhaps Marioh) that doesn't quit rounds.  We are the cream of the crop, so to speak, and you know what we think about quitting?  We don't care .  It's never mattered to any  Master I've ever played with.  We all quit multiplayer rounds on a regular basis.  It's so widely accepted a practice that none of us even mention it anymore.  The days of disclaiming about quitting ended sometime last year for most of us who have been around.  We mostly play to the last hole, the last putt, and whoever wants out is free to go, no explanations needed.

So you see, you really are in the minority with this 'penalty for quitters' thing.  We all hear and understand your point of view on the matter quite clearly.  You aren't the first nor the last, just another voice in the minority choir.  If that fact doesn't sit well with you, I'm sorry.  It's just something you have to live with.

My suggestion to you, and every other person who has issues with other players quitting rounds, is to simply play Practice rounds in multiplayer mode.  Honestly, the multiplayer system is  in shambles here, and should never have been ranked in the first place.  Inviting people in Practice mode will give you the best chance of completing a game with your fellow players.  If indeed it is the spirit of the game you are after and not the average itself, then you'll find no objection to my suggestion.

In the meantime, leave this whole issue alone.  WGT is not going to penalize people for quitting rounds.   That would discourage play for too many people, and as we've seen with their policies towards multiple accounts etc., they are more interested in keeping the # of rounds and players high than they are about instituting fair and balanced systems.  They know their multiplayer system is flawed, so they are not really in a position to impose any penalties on anyone.

This post and Nivlac's post on another thread pretty well sum up and end the debate.  I'm sure people will go on an on about it nevertheless, in vain.

[/quote][quote user="tibbets"]

I can tell you right now, every top level Master quits rounds .

Myself?  Yes

And next Sunday I will ask Jesus to save your soul, and ask him to save your children from you

• Fished
    24 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 6:32 PM

There isn't an easy way to determine who quit and who got disconnected because of legitimate reasons.

RSS