Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Mix and Match clubs

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 29 2017 11:49 AM (7 replies)
  • Wood4Woody
    906 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2017 6:59 PM

Can someone explain why it is not possible to purchase a PW without having to purchase the full iron set.

I've got my other clubs sorted, I like the starter irons, I just don't like the starter PW.

You can walk into a golf shop on the high street and buy a single club, why not here ?

Cheers for any info

Woody

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 8:11 PM

WGT's game, WGT's rules. When you create your own game you can make your own rules.

Siders Best

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 11:06 PM

WGT programmed the specs for the complete iron set into the game as a set.  So there is no swapping out any individual irons for a different club.  There are many players who would like to get rid of the 3I and add a hybrid, but it's not possible, and due to the programming changes required, it will probably never happen.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 4:36 AM

It sure would be nice though.

Bye bye PW, and hello 52 deg. wedge.  I'd do it instantly.

Sure hope or wish they'd have a serious look at it.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 9:27 AM

kavvz:

It sure would be nice though.

Bye bye PW, and hello 52 deg. wedge.  I'd do it instantly.

Sure hope or wish they'd have a serious look at it.

I agree, but I doubt they would spend the programming time to break the complete iron sets down to allow club substitution.  And in the top level Nike set (which would now be the same as the  L100 Callys) the PW plays as good as the Cleveland wedges.  So there is something to look forward to eventually. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 10:20 AM

It does?  A little surprised by that...

So the highest level PW you can buy stops on a dime without spin, and if you use full back it spins off the green? 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 10:48 AM

kavvz:
    So the highest level PW you can buy stops on a dime without spin, and if you use full back it spins off the green? 

Of course, it doesn't need to spin off the green to play as good. The key question is how does it play and not what it's capable of doing. 

The bottom line is, yes, the higher-level Nike PW plays very nicely. Whether it's as good as the Cleveland is up to others to determine. But I have had it stop on a dime. And personally, I prefer it not to spin off the green. ;-)  

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 11:49 AM

kavvz:

It does?  A little surprised by that...

Not at all (only certain holes w/ slopes).  With 2.5 spin balls full b/s 100% power gets you 114-115 all day.  3.5-4 spin ball gets you 113-114.  Full b/s shots typically give you a tighter shot group and better results (closer to the hole).  I'd much rather hit a 93% full b/s 6i off the Tee than a 95% flat 7i.

RSS