Help › Forums

Re: Equipment advice

Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:15 AM (89 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 11:14 PM
    Robert1893:

xlviii:
    I'd definitely recommend it to someone who wants a good putter but is put off by the cost of the Sabertooth (or, like me, isn't level 98 yet).

+1

I loved the Versa Level 70 putter. Even when I upgraded to the Sabertooth, I didn't think it was that dramatic of an upgrade. The L70 putter really is that good. 

My experience as well. The Sabertooth is slightly better on long putts, but the l70 Versa is the best "bang for the buck" putter available in the Pro Shop.
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 3:20 AM

The versa must be good as many, many reviews says it is. It has a different scale however as the M2 which I like, so I will go for the one most topplayers have and that is the L98 Sabertooth.

So I just wanted to buy the Sabertooth. Appearantly WGT checks on normal price versus your creditbalance. I have 4800 cr saved with watching vids and do surveys. The price with 10% discounts is around 4500. It will therefore not let me buy it as my balance is not enough for the normal price 4995. So I should buy credits!!!

Perhaps I shouldn’t get it at all. First I couldn’t rent it and now WGT won’t let me buy it. Lol

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 5:40 AM

K7JBQ:
    The Sabertooth is slightly better on long putts, but the l70 Versa is the best "bang for the buck" putter available in the Pro Shop.

+1

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 5:44 AM

JohanTV:
    The versa must be good as many, many reviews says it is. It has a different scale however as the M2 which I like, so I will go for the one most topplayers have and that is the L98 Sabertooth.

Just remember that what makes the top players the top players isn't the putter. :-) 

In other words, don't expect the new putter to transform your putting. No doubt about it. The Sabertooth is a great putter. But my putting didn't improve all that much after I purchased it. I think the biggest change is that, for me, it pretty much eliminated three putts. 

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 12:24 PM

Robert1893:
    Just remember that what makes the top players the top players isn't the putter. :-)

I know.

If only I make some more puts it’s worthwhile buying it as I play on a daily basis.

And buying it means I won’t have any excuses anymore 🤣

So I bought it today and hope to get used to it quickly.

Thanks to all for the advice

Johan

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 1:46 PM

JohanTV:
    And buying it means I won’t have any excuses anymore 🤣

That’s why you don’t want to buy this putter! 😀

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:29 AM

Now playing with the L98 Sabertooth for 6 weeks and must say it is an improvement over my L19 spider putter (which was great too).

The first 2 weeks I was ‘t sure about it but gradually got used to it.

Especially on short puts I have the feeling I am missing less puts.

So very happy with it.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Thu, Aug 2 2018 10:41 AM

When I first got to L98 I rented the Sabertooth and HATED it.  I did not buy it when presented with the discount, and instead kept using my L55 Daytona (which, as an aside, I still think is the best "bang for the buck" in the pro shop).

Each time I'd play with a clubmate who had the L98 Sabertooth I'd ask them about it, and they all said "it took awhile to get used to, but now I love it".  So when we got a free rental weekend awhile back, I went ahead and rented it for two days and played with it a lot.  After a couple of days I could see it's merits, so I went ahead and bought if for the discount after the free rental weekend ended.  I've never looked back.  I think the longer you use it, the more you'll like it, especially on longer putts at faster green speeds (12+).

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:08 PM

I simply LOVE my Sabertooth - IRL. It's the best cherry picker that you can imagine (imagine a golf course through an orchard meadow), and a good putting tool, too.

+100 concerning the Daytona - bought it as my first custom club and never looked back! (and it's still available!!!)

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:15 AM

Just wondering, should I save credits for the L103 driver (+2 yards extra) or get the L99 Rogue wood (+ 0.2 meter speed). I tend to get the L99 wood as dinging the L99 Fusion wood is sometimes hard (playing 0 meterspeed balls). Also most topplayers switched the wood when the Rogue were released. Anyway, like to hear your opinions.

update: just bought the L99 Rogue wood, so now saving for either for L100 rogues pro or L103 driver.

update: got the L100 Rogues Pro. Went back to L97 Steelheads as they have slower meter.

update: Sold my L100 Callaway Fusion driver (loved it) and bought the L102 Titleist TS3 for the extra yards.

RSS