Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Equipment advice

Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:15 AM (89 replies)
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Fri, Oct 27 2017 1:38 PM

Update 27-12-2017: Wow, one week away from L100 and almost completed my equipment except for a top driver and putter. Doubting now what to buy first. The L98 Odyssy M2 putter or the L100 Callaway driver. Only have 5K at the moment and have to save some more to buy both.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 26 2017 5:46 AM

I just reached level 100 and my equipment is now almost complete.

Just bought the Callaway Fusion Driver (L100+) which should match the meterspeed of my recent purchases the L99 wood and L97 irons.

The only thing left is buy my final putter. Credits are now gone, so have to save and wait for the Odyssey Sabertooth M2.

Luckily my crazy chase for obtaining the best equipment has now stopped by finally reaching L100. From now on I will just play nice tournaments trying to get better and most important enjoy this great game.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Wed, Dec 27 2017 2:37 PM

Nearly all of the top players seem to play the L103 driver, so you still have that to look forward to.  ;-)

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Thu, Dec 28 2017 12:37 AM

Unfortunately I am not a topplayer. Don’t have expensive balls. LOL. 

I know the TM is out there but unfortunately it’s too far away to play 10 (cc XP) games a day for another three months, spending little time with the kids etc. ;-) The TM is only 2 yards longer but If I get there I will probably be tempted to try/buy.

However, I must say the L100 Callaway fusion is a great driver and easy to ding so it could be this is my last driver.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Thu, Dec 28 2017 1:09 PM

I also do not use expensive balls, so I also will never be a top player.  I am OK with that.  :-)

I am happy with the equipment I have and feel little incentive to upgrade anything going forward.  Now I can just relax and play.  :-)

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Dec 28 2017 2:15 PM

JohanTV:

However, I must say the L100 Callaway fusion is a great driver and easy to ding so it could be this is my last driver.

Indeed it is, but like the Nike driver it replaced, it's a killer downwind and a dog into the wind.

Played a round last night with two Champions, both using the l103 R1. The Fusion held its own, but I still hit first on every approach.

Since level 103 is finally in sight, I'll be getting the big guy when I get there...but may not use it on every course. But the longer ones, definitely.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Dec 28 2017 2:46 PM

K7JBQ:

Indeed it is, but like the Nike driver it replaced, it's a killer downwind and a dog into the wind.

Played a round last night with two Champions, both using the l103 R1. The Fusion held its own, but I still hit first on every approach.

Hmmmmm, I have the lvl 103 TM driver, and prefer to use the lvl 100 Nike(the REALLY old Red one) because it is more accurate to me...I also never use full B/S with it unless I want to kill it like a wedge, and I see very little difference between the 2.

I use the Nike 99 % of the time

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Jun 16 2018 11:16 AM

My equipment is now pretty stable with mostly high end equipment except for balls and putter.

For budget reasons I settled for the cheap Tour-SD balls which are TMO best for the bugs.

My putter is still the basic L19 spider putter. In the past I tried and bought the L55 Rossa and the L35 ghost putter and kept coming back to the L19 spider which seemed to perform best at the time.

My putting is ok, but is my worst part of my play. Missing a lot of those 3-5 yrd puts and also at championspeed too many really short ones (due to crazy elevations).

Tomorrow is a free rental day and wondering If I should level up to a high end putter. Most topplayers are using the L98 Odyssey Sabertooth so this is probably the one to buy.

I am wondering If getting the Sabertooth is really worth the money as I played with the Sabertooth in a previous free rental weekend and in that day couldn’t really play well with it.

One day trying is too short so I am curious how others played with it at first and how long it took to get used to it and If putting really improved due to the putter.

Thanks,

Johan

• lonniescott711
    4,181 Posts
    Sat, Jun 16 2018 12:59 PM

Johan the rental is for the entire weekend . You can try all clubs for free now and yes the saber tooth is a putter worth getting . Putters are like all the other clubs you have to get used to them . So go try it out you have the rest of the weekend to figure it out .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Jun 16 2018 1:38 PM

Hi Lonnie, It’s already saterday  22:34 PM the 16th here in Holland and still it’s not possible to rent anything for free, so I assumed it was only at Sunday fathersday. If the free rental starts (hopefully) I will try it for sure.

RSS