Since VEM can be viewed to be in place to help.... let's say you play the game 90% of the time with VEM that is helping YOU... you play well, you shoot good scores... etc...
How would you view the game differently if ALL of a sudden that help was turned down or shut off?
Lol, my first reply conceded the remote possibility.........
But then I thought, this is about champ saying it only helps, and then only when you're playing poorly. How you play 90% of the time would be how you normally play, the 5% on either end would be the unusual times and one of those would see "VEM" used if it was like has been suggested. So you'd be playing 95% of the time without vem.
The other layer to the cake is the motivations behind VEM and it's use... and for that I believe is what WGTChampion was stating that the purpose or intention-- is not to hurt players.
I don't believe he said players could not or would not ever interpret the lack of helping VEM as seemingly hurting them, it just is not designed with that intention...
I'm not quite clear what you're saying there, not to hurt players isn't really a motivation, do you mean to help players? I would certainly see that as a very likely motive in whatever wgt do.
I imagine a lot of people play the games that they think they are, or will become, good at. If they're not then they try something else. It would certainly be in wgt's interest to help players believe this game is for them. A bit like better equipment really, it helps us score lower so we think we're getting better but really it's the game getting easier. So for that they sell more accurate, longer, more forgiving and easier to ding clubs.
The second paragpaph too I'm not sure about, surely he can't say what players can or will interpret anything as.
Sadly I've read the VEM patent and very roughly and in short; it sounded to me like if you were playing well/badly (scoring consistantly under/over your average) then the sweet spot got smaller or bigger. That's in relation to the individual player.
What wgt also give us is things like variation in the wind, precision, deviation and whatever I've forgotten that mean the same dinged shot, in the same conditions, from the same spot will not always land in the same place (a good thing too I think). Some call that VEM. We have forgiveness helping us when we don't ding, is that the "little forgiveness boost" that's mentioned.
It was suggested by other mod's that the vem patent was indeed used to build variation into the game in general and equipment in particular but that's not targeting the inividual. (Whenever you equip a club, it’s performance/output will NEVER change based on your score, a tournament, who you are playing or, most importantly, your tier.)
I know that Champ has moved the debate away from this and suggested vem does affect people on an individual basis, and I'm not saying he's wrong, but I'm certainly surprised.
However you dress it he says only positive VEM is on, so do you believe that?