Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Club sets: TM R15 or Max Meter?

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 29 2019 4:48 AM (7 replies)
  • HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 7:12 AM

I'm doing some research on which club set is best, and it seems like the Max Meter set (95+) offers more value than the TM set. The TM set has better precision, but there's a 1- to 1.5-point meter speed difference between the TM set and the MM set. 

I want to go with the TM set because, well, the clubs look cooler and they're the most expensive ones, but the Max Meter set seems like I'll get more forgiveness and won't be forced to purchase meter balls. 

Your thoughts?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 6:41 PM

What meter speed you can handle is the key.  The R15 set is much better, but much faster.  A possible compromise might be a WGT ball like a G12S or G13S with 2.0 or 2.5 meter at a reasonable price.  The spin of the R15 set will make a big difference compared to the Max set in stopping power.  They are much better clubs.

I would suggest trying before buying.  Even a 2 hour free rental upon leveling up will help you decide.

Good Luck

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Apr 21 2017 8:56 AM

Get the TM L90+ . They have the same distances as the L97+ and L100 Cally irons . They can be the last set of irons you will ever need to buy .

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, Apr 21 2017 10:23 AM

I've played both the Max clubs and the TMs. The only advantage to the Max clubs is the meter. In all other respects the TM irons are far better.

The Max 3 iron is so short I had to put the Hybrid in the bag to fill the gap, which meant leaving the 56 degree wedge in the garage. Not a happy tradeoff.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Apr 21 2017 10:50 AM

HoleItSucker:
    I want to go with the TM set because, well, the clubs look cooler

I totally hear you. They really do look like real pro's equipment much like Ben Hogan irons. I bought, still have the full R15 set and I can guarantee you won't regret your choice.

Seems like it's long-awaited club upgrade in maybe 6-7 years, huh? I don't even recognize the clubs you have in your bag. Wow! Simply amazing! I wish I'll be able to play that long like you do.

You've got my respect. :-)

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Fri, Apr 21 2017 11:39 AM

K7JBQ:

I've played both the Max clubs and the TMs. The only advantage to the Max clubs is the meter. In all other respects the TM irons are far better.

The Max 3 iron is so short I had to put the Hybrid in the bag to fill the gap, which meant leaving the 56 degree wedge in the garage. Not a happy tradeoff.

The Max irons L95+ 215-110 yds

Taylor Made R15 L90+ irons 225-120 yds .

The L90+ irons are the same distances as the new L97+ & L100+ Cally irons . These are the next step up irons and will play just as good as the new callys . From these the next step will be either L97+or 100+ irons but a bypass for L95+ Max irons .

• HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Wed, May 29 2019 4:02 AM

I know it's been two years since this thread started but thanks for the compliment! I ended up switching to the TM clubs after playing the Ping G10's for seven or eight years. I was sad to see those clubs go but I'm happy with my new ones. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, May 29 2019 4:48 AM

I had credits to burn a while back and purchased the Max Meter.

Awful 

RSS