Re: The Real, True, and Un-Exaggerated Rules of Golf

Wed, Feb 8 2017 5:16 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 12:13 PM

WigerToods2010:
    on a gorgeous sun filled day.

Well we all know that was not in Scotland.................

LMAO "we don't play bunkers".

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 1:00 PM

Wellser, i don't know about real life golf ( only played twice ) but, i've certainly done all the above here many times, except maybe waitin' for the guys ahead to leave the green :). Glad i dropped in on this , biteme. FR sent.

Doc :)

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 3:07 PM

alanti:
    WigerToods2010:
    on a gorgeous sun filled day.

Well we all know that was not in Scotland....

I have different tales to tell: Arrival in Aberdeen (Northern Highlands) on a sunny day in early May; played Montrose Medal in short sleeves; enjoyed some Bitter outdoors...

At night, in the bar in Carnoustie, they told me that this had been the first sunny day of 2013!

alanti:
    LMAO "we don't play bunkers".

Need to select a special course for rule-obeyant play then:

e.g. Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club (West Course) south of London - it has none ;)

• Next260
    2,194 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 5:34 PM

Great post ; #5 is the one that applies most to me.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 11:51 PM

alosso:
    At night, in the bar in Carnoustie, they told me that this had been the first sunny day of 2013!

LOL...now that I would believe........I did once play golf in Scotland....on the only other recorded sunny day since records began :)

I have played Royal Ashdown in Sussex but think it was the other course - tight fairways with some creeks in the front of greens. I carded a nightmare......but nice course.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:33 AM

There's more sun in Scotland - they say, every season every day, which includes Summer!

But, there may also be torrents of rain - I remember playing "against the flood" more than once when I was young and enthusiastic (2007 + 2009 + 2011).

Ashdown "West" is their second course, you probably played  the "Old". There, we had problems due to no rain. A drought period had dried out the FWs, so the balls would bounce everywhere, predominantly to the bushes at the sides. It was a blast nevertheless, plenty tricky forest floor making the bunkers obsolete, and, on the 18th, an angelic white poncho blouse of 25 years would levitate over the course, in a group of young women ;)

• Dangeris
    27 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:59 AM

Hahahahahaha, what a shot. Nice and soo true :'D

• biteme100
    156 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:38 AM

LOL, I actually have this picture on a t-shirt

• Dangeris
    27 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:42 AM

biteme100:

LOL, I actually have this picture on a t-shirt

Sooo nice :'D

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 5:16 PM

Just going back to number 6 on the list......

I used to play the Oaks near Sutton in the UK quite a bit as it was cheap and I lived a short drive away.

There was a par 5 .....I was miles out after the drive....uphill so all our group played their second....all well short of the green.....I said if I hit this well, it will make it, I should wait.....well I was encouraged to hit......sure enough I nailed it.....FOURRRRRRRR......the group on the green shout obscenities...........and luckily had teed off when we got to the green.

The next par five I was in the same position....but even closer......this time I waited......as the green cleared....the group watched as I went to repeat my heroics.......sliced the fooker OB - you should have heard the laughter......such a fickle game

• PAGES
RSS