Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting rule...What is a putt?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 17 2011 1:48 PM (5 replies)
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 9:24 AM

As we know putting counts as a stroke taken on the green surface only. I believe the rule though is that if you are putting and putt off the golf surface, chip back on and then putt out that this would count as 3 putts. While I have tried to research this I have not had much luck. If this rule is true does it work that way on WGT?

• stuffix
    762 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 10:04 AM

It is in fact the case on WGT, happened to me multiple times on Oak #9. After landing on the green, my first putt went on the fringe, then I chipped close to the hole and putted again for a total of 3 putts in the stats.

I don't know anything about the official rule though.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 10:58 AM

I just ran a test . I chose practice round and chose Kiawah and hit on the green in 2. I hit my first putt off the green intentionally and chipped back on and made the next putt. I took 2 putts. The score card showed 2 putts not 3. It also showed the green check for hitting the green in regulation which is what I did before putting off the green. I assumed that it would only count strokes made on the green as putts due to the fix that WGT made a little over a year ago. When I first joined putts taken from the fringe counted as putts but WGT fixed that bug so I assumed correctly that only strokes taken on the green counted as putts.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 11:30 AM

Other types of shots taken on the green (yes it is possible ) count as putts, also.

• golfentwilly
    158 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 1:16 PM

I made a (defalt) putt for 78 ft at st ann #9 did not count as putt ,nor did it count for long putt award ...oh by the way ,,this was on the fringe.lol

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 1:48 PM

golfentwilly:

I made a (defalt) putt for 78 ft at st ann #9 did not count as putt ,nor did it count for long putt award ...oh by the way ,,this was on the fringe.lol

A putt from the fringe is an approach shot, not a putt technically.

RSS