Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Playing lessons with the Thunderbird!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 26 2009 6:01 AM (1 replies)
  • thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 5:55 AM

If your reading this and you just have not figured out how to score there is still hope.  Many of you wonder how the top guys consistently score so low.  Its not by quitting but by paying close attentions to detail.  See my last post on playing better golf. 

So here is the skinny on a few shots. 

• Flop shots work great from the bunkers at Bethpage and you can literally play them percentage wise to the meter.  If it says 25 yards full yardage it will go 25 yards from the bunker from the 15-20.  When at Kiawah it is whole different story they will go about 35% less than the yardage. 
    • So you hit a bad tee shot and your ball is now in the thick stuff.  Now here is where upgrade clubs make a big difference.  I currently play the G10 Masters and from the rough I will still be able to make birdie about 65% of the time.  One club for 15/20 lie.  Two clubs for 30/40 lies and for 40/50 try the punch shot and use the hybrid.  Play around with the punch shot as it can be quite the weapon if there is room to run it up.
    • A quick putting tip.  Keep a log of the greens in a book like the real tour players do to help you remember the breaks.  I keep track by how many grids it breaks.  It helps a bunch.  A little leg work goes a long way.

• JonnyBau
    72 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 6:01 AM

Quick putting tip:

I have found that when I'm not putting my best or my meter is giving me hell, to club up a putter and putt it half distance. For example. You have a 10 foot putt with your spyder. instead of putting it almost 1/2 way with the 25, play the 50 and hit it less than 1/4. y theory is the farther you venture from the meter, the more off center your going to miss it. So if you can hit it fine from close, this tip is really going to help you!

RSS