Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Nike Balls - Chance to Detune ??

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 2 2016 1:58 AM (9 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2016 10:21 PM

With Nike finishing up I would like TG to consider detuning the next line.

A complete revamp with the L61 ball set as the absolute pinnacle for all attributes, save meter.  

Paid for legitimate equipment meter speeds I have no issue, especially bearing in mind the tricks some use, and so personally all just dandy in the current climate.  

Ball wise though the way some balls fizz the grass off has gone long over board, and needs pulling back I think.

Revenue will be an issue I appreciate, but if changing supplier (OK names shown in reality) and can do something in that direction............................

The other thread with same equipment for all is fine, but IRL serious comps one player springing what all play with is not happening, and for a reason................Not knocking it, but the above would still retain skill for "serious days out". 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 1:18 AM

In theory and principle I agree with you Jim, but this is WGT which values the dollar above realism. 

It would be an opportune time to rein in the balls a little, and personally the attributes of the Callys should be as high as it gets. But WGT will continue to introduce new balls and equipment as the better the attributes, the higher the dollar value assigned to them.

Gone are the days of the G10's and a WGT ball being top of the range.

Heck when there are currently balls valued at $7.50 - $8.00 it is highly unlikely they will not have equally valued balls for sale, and if the attributes are garbage....then they will not sell.

I realized a long time ago, this game will never get back to the days when an under par score was an achievement - heck for most players 9 under on any given 9, is just another day at the office. That horse bolted a long time ago......

So I suppose, does it matter if  a winning score is 21 under or 2 under, it is all relative. 

In short, WGT will not change as it became a big corporate with the goal of maximizing profits - nothing wrong with that, but it comes at the cost being "the most realistic golf game".

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 4:44 AM

Jimbog1964:

With Nike finishing up I would like TG to consider detuning the next line.

+1

Jimbog1964:
    A complete revamp with the L61 ball set as the absolute pinnacle for all attributes, save meter.  

Hard to see it happening, as even Volviks and Truvis Chrome are now there. So the lowest they could cap it is max 4.5 distance and 4 spin.

The only thing they could tailor now is to make 4 spin behave like 3 for eg and reduce it across the board but we all know the outcry that would cause.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 6:12 AM

I have a bit of a different view. Although I gift the top balls, or donate them to the wgt charities, I personally don't use them. I can't control them. Many players automatically buy expensive balls thinking their game will improve. This is only true if the player has the talent to take advantage of the specs. I certainly don't. I put a little draw on a Nike and it sux back 15 ft more than I wanted it to.

Even meter speed. If it's too slow, I always hit the damn thing early...throws off my rhythm.

I have a few Nikes and Max balls in my inventory, but rarely use them. I prefer the Callys or lower. I'm an average player, and they suit my skill sets just fine.

ct

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 6:45 AM

Fair comments and fair also CT on the flip side.  Most certainly an average player turning up with a new Nike L90 ball, and whacking FBS is going to be in for a shock.  Not saying you are that, but the L90 ball most certainly requires honing in v carefully.  Once honed though it does just pull up in ways that forget any comparison to RL .................

I also get all the revenue issues and that's one for WGT.  From a players perspective having to understand a bit of roll, and heck even a few longer and trickier resulting putts that people who know the roll will make more I see as good........

I noted the comment about volvik earlier in the thread.  All I would there is the meter speed is still not L61 level, and I did exclude meter speed from my suggestion.  Meter speed sells and so some wiggle room for WGT, and from what I see people will pay for it if only to stay on a par with enhanced third party gaming methods.........most will know what allude to :)

All just a thought, and accepted likely wishful thinking..............

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 8:59 AM

I use L90 Platinums and RSi2s and never got more than 4 feet backspin on FBS with any iron. Wedges, sure, can't use backspin there often, but on irons, I could use more. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 4:10 PM

I am surprised there have not been more comment - maybe people are happy hitting a 2W 250 yards and getting it to stop on a dime.

De tuning will cause riots, those people hitting 9 under do not want to shoot 5 under........

Even the Volviks and Callys are pretty decent, but coupled with the clubs that are introduced become a lethal scoring combination.

Like I said earlier, the horse bolted and WGT will not close the gate, Fine tuning balls is one thing, but it needs to be done in conjunction with the clubs......and that will not happen IMO.

On meter speeds, I like a slower meter......but disagree they should be available as well. If I started hoicking balls OB with a super fast meter, would I continue? Possibly not....

Would that then create more players reverting to other methods as you alluded? Possibly but perhaps they do anyway.

Good topic Jim....

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 4:45 PM

Make a ball with 8 spin please

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2016 8:48 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

Make a ball with 8 spin please

Why? So you could have an automatic ball return?

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2016 1:58 AM

They really don't have to detune. Just don't make any balls with specs like the  level 90 blacks and platinum balls. The level 48 20X-IX and its spin counterpart are more than enough distance and spin.

I used the level 90 or so black for awhile atrter someone gifted me a sleeve. I used themfor about a month before going back to the slow meter level 34 Callys then to the level 48 Nike. 

I just couldn't justify paying 700 credits for them.

RSS