Forums

Help › Forums

Re: wind Calculator

Sat, Apr 25 2020 2:10 AM (87 replies)
  • thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Tue, Sep 5 2017 8:32 AM

Young46:

Just because you may have found a way to predict winds, that alone does not ensure rounds in the 50's. There are numerous variables built into this game that defy any spreadsheet in existence. Then there's the most challenging facet of the game, making putts! On a side note, If you haven't yet, I would suggest reading the WGT patents. There's a lot of math I believe you would enjoy.

goldeena:

you see a lot of champions with scores no better than mine really.

With the inception of red tee ranked rounds, it's not that difficult to become a Champion nowadays. I only hope that Tour Champion tier will be a bit more stringent on the requirements side.

goldeena:

This place leaves a bad taste in my mouth overall - it is littered with 'em, old boys arrogant champions, you're welcome to it.

Anyone that knows Jo would not use arrogant as a way to describe him. If anything, he's one of the nicest people I have met. I have spent hours on Skype/Discord talking to him both one-on-one and in group settings. He's never been anything except kind and helpful.

- Jason (Arrogant Champion)

Lovely ,very positive post.............

A welcomed rarity in the WGT Forums.

A wonderful example of "The glass is half full" response .

Well done

Also each course seems to have their own idiosyncrasies.,that require more of a "feel" that a standard formula .

YES

getting on the green is half the battle

The best players here are outstanding  in the putting arena.

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 1:06 AM

Good Lord................ Goldiggers  grandiose  wind calculator thread is still alive?       Sheeesh.......................

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Sat, Jun 30 2018 12:50 PM

all these sidewind calculations.......i have just tried on practice mode  to multiply distance by wind and hit the shot no spin.......the shot was 150 yds... sidewind of 29 mph aimed 43 yds right and hit ding....repeated the shot 3 times with an avg  of 5ft from pin....crazy game

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Jul 1 2018 3:38 PM

abbielb:

all these sidewind calculations.......i have just tried on practice mode  to multiply distance by wind and hit the shot no spin.......the shot was 150 yds... sidewind of 29 mph aimed 43 yds right and hit ding....repeated the shot 3 times with an avg  of 5ft from pin....crazy game

I know this is an old thread. 

Some say add 20% on a crosswind, I usually do 30%. High winds are a crap shoot.

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:40 AM

decided to make my own sidewind chart......im half way through it.....damm i should have done it along time ago......10 -15 mph winds ive got calculated and mapped .....just need the rest lol....but showing better results already regarding being closer to my pins....

• deljzc
    55 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 8:36 AM

Wind effects are not a linear formula.  That is why there are so many variations and some formulas appear to sometimes work and other times don't.

Topspin and backspin also impact wind effects because backspin causes the ball to stay in the air longer and topspin causes the ball to stay in the air less.  Same with significant elevation changes.  Likely the most accurate way to chart crosswind effects is to actually time HOW LONG the ball is in the air for each club at common distances, but that is an excruciating exercise.

In general, when you start getting above 20mph on wind, the crosswind effects start to break away from the "linear formula" and start to increase.  That is why you will get some CRAZY wind movement on some of the courses that use 25+ mph on their high wind settings.

Wedges, because they stay in the air longer per yard traveled also break away from linear formulas.  You can get just as much crosswind movement on a 100 yard wedge shot as you do a 120 yard PW shot.  Even my 75 yard club has very close crosswind effects vs. my 120 yard club (it's less but not by much).

There is no simple formula.  Normally the good players all have a "rough formula" in their head they use but they make adjustments off of that formula based on years of practice and experience.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 5:19 PM

deljzc:

Wind effects are not a linear formula.  That is why there are so many variations and some formulas appear to sometimes work and other times don't.

Topspin and backspin also impact wind effects because backspin causes the ball to stay in the air longer and topspin causes the ball to stay in the air less.  Same with significant elevation changes.  Likely the most accurate way to chart crosswind effects is to actually time HOW LONG the ball is in the air for each club at common distances, but that is an excruciating exercise.

In general, when you start getting above 20mph on wind, the crosswind effects start to break away from the "linear formula" and start to increase.  That is why you will get some CRAZY wind movement on some of the courses that use 25+ mph on their high wind settings.

Wedges, because they stay in the air longer per yard traveled also break away from linear formulas.  You can get just as much crosswind movement on a 100 yard wedge shot as you do a 120 yard PW shot.  Even my 75 yard club has very close crosswind effects vs. my 120 yard club (it's less but not by much).

There is no simple formula.  Normally the good players all have a "rough formula" in their head they use but they make adjustments off of that formula based on years of practice and experience.

Also Backspin into a headwind will be fighting against the wind. Topspin goes with the headwind. Backspin in a tailwind goes with the wind

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Sat, Apr 25 2020 2:10 AM

well i finished my chart.....it does give a great starting point to aiming for sidewinds.....eg played st andys i had a 30 mph sidewind with 3 iron in hand my chart helped me drop it 2ft to the pin.....i agree though topspin and backspin affect side distances my chart is with nuetral spin so i adjust if spin is needed...all new players and lower tiers should have a better idea on wind effect to help lower their scores....

RSS