Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Southern England Links v Wgt Amigos

Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:57 PM (38 replies)
  • shovlovin
    2,112 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2016 1:55 PM

I think its a great coming together of 2 well run Country Clubs Pip, i would like to thank your players in playing the match in a spirit that we all enjoy, up yir kilts.

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2016 6:34 PM

Have just completed my game with Ron.Z.  This was our 2nd attempt as Ronny has some snow in his area and made the connection drop out on our first try.

Would like to thank Ron for his company and willingness to hang in there and get the game played. A credit to the Amigo's he is indeed, and can wear a kilt with the best of them.  Although one had to avert one's eyes when he crouched to line up his putt's.

The golf was secondary to the company but in the end it was my day 6&5.  Could not put a foot wrong and the putts went in from everywhere. Thanks Ron for the hit and look forward to having another one day mate.

Jacko.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2016 6:20 AM

Bubbs beats Jag001 5 up

Timezones was bit awkward but we got it played today.

Jeff was a great oppo, and credit to Amigos.

I didnt really miss much, and Jeff was a tad unlucky at times.

Good work Brian and Pip for organising...........great game again between us.

• BCGreer
    15 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2016 2:40 PM

Got my match played with Jim (Osassy1) just a bit ago. If Im being honest, it was one of the most competitive matches Ive played in an Inter CC yet. Was never more than 1 hole in it the entire match and went all the way down to 18.

1. we both made decent pars on the tough 1st hole. I had to flop and tap in and Jim had a very very long birdie putt that he lagged very nicely. Match AS.
    2. I stuck my approach to within 7.5 feet. Jim found the bunker but played a nice shot from the sand and made a 8 footer for par. My putter failed me ended up with a tap in par. Match AS.
    3. Jim hit a beauty of a tee shot and was able to make a 4.5 footer for birdie. I left myself a long birdie putt that scraped the hole. Osassy1 1UP.
    4. Both Jim and I ended up just short of the hole in the rough. Unfortunately Jim was in the deep stuff and I only had 25-30%. Jim had a nice chip, but I was able to hole out my chip for eagle and the hole. Match AS.
    5. Jim found the front bunker but played a nice shot out. I was able to knock down a 17 footer for birdie and the hole. BCGreer 1UP.
    6. Jim hit another great approach into the 6th hole. I again scraped the hole and settled for Par while Jim knocked down hit 7 footer for birdie and the hole. Match AS.
    7. we both ended up just short of the green but were both able to get up and down pretty easily. Match AS.
    8. A somewhat heavy headwind left us both with longer thirds than we would want. Both werent able to get close enough for an easy birdie and both had to settle for tap in pars. Match AS.
    9. Jim was 7 yards long and I was 7 yards short of the pin. Both had tricky putts and both ended up with tap in pars. Match AS.

10. Jim hit a nice approach into the green leaving himself about 10 feet for birdie. I was a little bit shorter and had about 20 feet for my birdie which I just didnt read correctly. Jim confidently knocked his birdie putt down. Osassy1 1UP.
    11. Jim's approach was just a bit short. Which left him with a pitch and putt for par. Which he did. I had an 8 foot putt for birdie and the hole but again my putter let me down and walked away with a tap in par. Osassy1 1UP.
    12. This was the first hole I really saw Jim make a bit of mistake. We had a headwind and he ended up short right of the green, and then came up a bit short with his pitch and left himself a lengthy birdie putt which he just barely missed. My drive ended up in the front bunker, but I was able to play a really nice shot out and left myself a gimme birdie. Match AS.
    13. My approach took a wicked bounce of the hill just left of the green and ended up with a 55 foot for birdie. I didnt make it lol. Jim played his approach the same way but a little lower on the hill which left him with a 6 footer for birdie and he did make it. Osassy1 1UP.
    14. Jim left his approach just short of the green and hit a very nice pitch to within a foot. I too was short but on the fringe and decided to putt it. Left the stick in and lucky I did as my putt probably would have ran past but hit the pin and dropped for a birdie and the hole. Match AS.
    15. Jim hit another great tee shot leaving himself a 9.7 footer for birdie, which he drained. I left myself a little longer (31 feet lol) but was able to make up for the two shorties I missed earlier and put it right in the middle of the cup for birdie to halve the hole. Match AS.
    16. I played this hole terribly and needed a 11 foot par saver, and somehow got it to drop. I probably didnt deserve to halve hole but we did. Match AS.
    17. I think Jim got metered because he was way long and left. But hit a great shot and had a gimme par putt remaining. I was on the right level of the green but couldnt make the 15 footer for birdie. Match AS.

Before I go on. I want to say that the conversation was just as good as the golf was. Jim was very nice and we talked about numerous things. I feel we were both very complimentary of each other (maybe be even when we shouldnt have been lol). Anyway I would play another match with Jim anyday.

Its a shame that the 18th hole went the way it did as it was the only hole that really was played kind of poorly, and was a bummer that thats where it ended. We were both at -6 going into the hole and had barely sniffed a bogey.

18. Jim hit a monster drive that went just a bit too far into the bunker. (We had a 20 mph tailwind). I got metered badly and what was suppose to be a lay up in the fairway to the left of the green ended in the thick rough just below the green on the right side. Jim played safe out and then his third carried a bit too far and ended on the top level of the green. I played my shot out of the rough, had to hit hard enough to get it through but wasnt able to stop it once on the green. Jim hit a nice lag putt, but from the top level its so hard to get it close. I just shaved the edge with my birdie putt and had a gimme for par. And then for the first time all day Jim missed a putt inside 15 feet (at least thats what it seemed like) and lipped a 6 footer for par, which gave me the hole and the match.

BCGreer wins 1UP.

• TdotDoba
    2,158 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2016 7:56 AM

Been reading about some great games, well done all

• TdotDoba
    2,158 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 1:50 PM

Got my game in with Scofnix, Thanks for a nice game. SEL wins 6&5

Cheers and thanks to the organizers for putting on a very fun competition. Well done all!

• pipala
    887 Posts
    Wed, Nov 9 2016 2:27 AM

Just want to say a big thank you to Brian and our old friends over at Amigos for another fun meet up.

Thanks for your help in organising this one Brian and our best wishes to you all on behalf of Sel

• shovlovin
    2,112 Posts
    Wed, Nov 9 2016 11:12 AM

Congratulations to all, there was no losers as far as i am concerned but S.E.L. had a few more winners  as far as the matches went ; a truly sterling effort to my new friend (and Stalker) PIPALA  for putting together another CC v CC  match that combines the spirit and integrity of this game. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Nov 9 2016 3:57 PM

Well done all, . Not easy with time differences to get so many games played, but we did it.

The matches were all played in great spirit, which is the main thing, well alright, almost the main thing ;-)

Seriously, great work Brian and Pip.

We will meet again.

RSS